[JPL] PLAYLIST: JzFmS4, WGBH 9/7/07

Steve Schwartz steve_schwartz at wgbh.org
Fri Sep 7 23:47:40 EDT 2007

Friday, Sept 7, 8pm­midnight, WGBH 89.7

HERB POMEROY REMEMBERED
also BIRTHDAY CELEBRATIONS FOR SONNY ROLLINS (9/7/1930); BRUCE BARTH
(9/7/1958); MAKANDA KEN MCINTYRE (9/7/1931);JOE NEWMAN (9/7/1922); RON BLAKE
(9/7/1965)

8:00pm
THEME: Horace Parlan Quintet: Wadin', Speakin' My Piece (Blue Note)

8:05pm
Sonny Rollins: What Is There To Say, The Sound of Sonny (Riverside)
Bruce Barth: September Song, American Landscape (Satchmo Jazz Records)
Makanda Ken McIntyre: Laura,
The Complete United Artists Recordings (Blue Note)
Joe Newman: Gee Baby Ain't I Good to You, Unknown (Unknown)
Ron Blake: You Must Believe in Spring, Lest We Forget (Mack Avenue)

8:35pm
Mario Rivera (d. August 10, 2007): LaPuerta; Todavia; En La Obscuridad,
El Comandante (Groovin' High)

9:00pm
HERB POMEROY: A JAZZ PORTRAIT
A half hour radio documentary produced for The New England Foundation for
The Arts in 1993 by Steve Schwartz and Margot Stage featuring Herb in his
own voice talking about his life in music and education.
Also, available on line at: www.wgbh.org/jazz

9:30pm
Bruce Barth: Persistence, In Focus (Enja)
Bruce Barth: When The Sun Comes Out, Live at The Village Vanguard (MaxJazz)
Terence Blanchard; featuring Bruce Barth: Tomorrow's Just A Luxury,
Terence Blanchard (Columbia)

9:52pm
Joe Newman: Please Send Me Someone to Love,
Joe Newman at Count Basie's (Mercury)
Budd Johnson; featuring Joe Newman: Baubles, Bangles and Beads,
Off The Wall (Argo)
Sir Charles Thompson; featuring Joe Newman: Oh Joe!, For The Ears (Vanguard)

10:13pm
Makanda Ken McIntyre: Evolvement, A New Beginning (MMO Music)
Ken McIntyre: Blanche, Stone Blues (Prestige New Jazz)
Ken McIntyre: Permanentity,
The Complete United Artists Recordings (Blue Note)

10:34pm
Ron Blake: Shades of Brown, Sonic Tonic (Mack Avenue)
Art Farmer; featuring Ron Blake: The Way You Look Tonight,
The Meaning of Art (Arabesque)
Gerald Wilson; featuring Ron Blake: Love for Sale, In My Time (Mack Avenue)
Ron Blake: Down De Road, 21st Century (Tahmun Records)

11:02pm
Herb Pomeroy: Doxy, Live from Studio One (ONLY ON 89.7FM)
Sonny Rollins: Wonderful! Wonderful!, Newk's Time (Blue Note)
Abbey Lincoln; featuring Sonny Rollins: Strong Man, That's Him (Riverside)
Thelonious Monk; Sonny Rollins: The Way You Look Tonight,
Thelonious Monk/Sonny Rollins (Prestige)

11:30pm
Babs Gonzales; featuring Sonny Rollins: Capitolizing,
Weird Lullaby (Blue Note)
Sonny Rollins: Stairway to The Stars, Sonny, Please (Doxy)
Joe Newman: Close Quarters, The Count Basie Bunch: Cool Too (Vanguard)
Count Basie Orchestra: Katy, Kansas City Suite (Roulette)
Count Basie Orchestra: Midgets, April In Paris (Verve)

11:51pm
Bruce Barth: Triste, Somehow It's Time (Double-Time Records)

Only on 89.7! performances and recordings are exclusive WGBH Radio
productions and are not commercially available.