[JPL] Mastering Dylan, flubbing Darin, and paying tribute to the inimitable Max Roach by Francis Davis

Jazz Promo Services jazzpromo at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 10 07:32:45 EDT 2007

http://www.villagevoice.com/music/0736,davis,77676,22.html

Music
Melody Lingers On
Mastering Dylan, flubbing Darin, and paying tribute to the inimitable Max
Roach
by Francis Davis

September 4th, 2007 1:59 PM

Before the two styles of music went their separate ways, what kept evergreen
melodies common currency in jazz was the faith that their chord changes
could be recalibrated down to the smallest micro-interval. Though rock is
usually blamed for driving the wedge (along with Broadway and Hollywood's
failure to go on providing worthy material), jazz hubris figures into it,
too‹everyone fancies himself or herself a composer now, an inevitable
consequence of the long- standing folly that jazz improvisers, by virtue of
their supposedly greater harmonic sophistication, routinely invent melodies
superior to the ones they take as their starting point. (Good luck
"improving" Gershwin.) Reviewing the Art Ensemble of Chicago years ago,
Stanley Crouch thought he detected joyous relief in the audience whenever
the bass and drums lapsed into straight time. Nowadays, I notice a similar
response‹ in others and in my own heart‹whenever a band so much as alludes
to a recognizable melody.
By which I mean anything that fits the criteria of a melody, not necessarily
a song you've heard before. This could be one of the reasons we've recently
been hearing so many covers drawn from music in which melody hasn't been as
subordinated as it's been in jazz, including classic rock. Why it's taken so
long for jazz musicians to get around to Bob Dylan has to do with Dylan.
Though he mentions jamming with Cecil Taylor in Chronicles, swing has never
been Dylan's calling card‹if that was all you desired from '60s troubadours,
Donovan was your man. But an even greater obstacle to reinterpreting Dylan
up to, say, Blonde on Blonde or John Wesley Harding (if I'm being honest
about it, the only Dylan that matters for me, allowing an exception for
Blood on the Tracks) is that so much depended on his bardic lyrics and hip
sneer. And on everything subsequent, including those last three albums
greeted with hallelujahs by my pop colleagues, his sometimes gorgeous
melodies have been shrouded in mannerism and mystique, fogged in behind that
decidedly unmelodious Gabby Hayes croak.

It took Ships with Tattooed Sails‹the third album of Dylan covers by Jewels
and Binoculars, a leaderless collective featuring bassist Lindsey Horner
with Dutch-based American expatriates Michael Vatcher (drums) and Michael
Moore (alto saxophone and clarinets)‹to persuade me just how gorgeous a
driven, plangent, homespun ballad like "I Believe in You" (from 1979's
despised, Jew-for-Jesus Slow Train Coming) can be. Paradox acknowledged,
Tattooed Sails is an example of song-based free improvisation. In saving
Dylan's melodies from Dylan, it might seem to belong in the same rotation
with Bryan Ferry's recent Dylanesque. But in light of J&B's streamlined
treatment of "Spirit on the Water" (four and a half minutes to Dylan's
almost-eight, though no less haunting or honky-tonking), with Moore going at
a slower tempo than bass and drums until he overtakes them just in time for
what sounds like an off-the-wall quote from "Tiptoe Through the Tulips," the
natural segue that suggests itself is from Dylan's Modern Times to Tattooed
Sails to Ornette Coleman's Sound Grammar. Thematic improvisation here gives
the players somewhere else to go once the melody has been fully honored, an
option not open to Ferry or Dylan himself.

Even with added starter Bill Frisell's guitar howling like the ghost of
electricity and crying like a fire in the sun on "Gates of Eden" and "It's
Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)," J&B's approach hardly does justice to '60s
Dylan. But Frisell is in his natural element on "Blind Willie McTell,"
Vatcher everywhere demonstrates the advantages of pulse over meter, Horner
moves with grace and authority on arrangements that seem crafted from the
bassline up, and Moore displays such wide range that several times (most
notably on "One More Cup of Coffee"), I thought he was dropping into the
clarinet's chalemeau register, only to realize he was going falsetto on bass
clarinet. To play outside the chords you must be honest: The members of
Jewels and Binoculars never cheat by superimposing jazz changes and
syncopations on tunes that don't start off with any. They just make inspired
use of what's there‹still as surefire a formula for good jazz as it was for
Armstrong and Parker, even if the tunes have become ones they wouldn't
recognize.

--

The brainchild of annotator Colin E. Negrych, the Waverly Seven's two-CD Yo!
Bobby, with arrangements mostly by pianist Manuel Valera, prompts the

The good stuff includes rousing, semi-Dixieland jams on "Mack" and "Some of
These Days." Trumpeter Avishai Cohen is in good form throughout (especially
glancing off Scott Robinson's rugged baritone on a
Mulligan-and-Chet-Baker-like "The More I See You"), and so are his sister
Anat and her fellow saxophonist Joel Frahm. But where's Bobby? Were it not
for the title, you might guess this to be a latter-day swing session on
Arbors Jazz.

Speaking of which, the Harry Allen­Joe Cohn Quartet's Music from "Guys and
Dolls" is the jewel of that label's catalog. "Fugue for Tinhorns" permits
the tenorist and guitarist to exercise their flair for improvised
counterpoint (their quartet's trademark), but the real stars are the
singers. Eddie Erickson's suave "Adelaide" is a match for Sinatra's or
composer Frank Loesser's, and the infallible Rebecca Kilgore assists in
swinging the dickens out of "Marry the Man Today" (still a march, but
phrasing it behind the beat makes all the difference). Like many on Arbors'
roster, Allen is one younger musician with a genuine feel for bygone songs
and styles, and on "I'll Know," when he underscores the vulnerability of
Loesser's melody by letting us hear the air shivering from his mouthpiece
(the way Stan Getz used to do), it's enough to make you wonder if the old
songs aren't still best after all.

--

"I wanted to concentrate on performance again before the sticks got too
heavy for me to lift," Max Roach told me in 1987, explaining why he'd taken

But the physical signs of aging began setting in just a few years later.
When Roach died August 16, following a long stretch in a nursing home, he
was our last remaining link to Minton's and the Royal Roost. Hearing him
chase Charlie Parker through their 1945 recording of "Koko" should be all
the evidence anyone needs that bop's main thrust was rhythmic as well as
harmonic. Nurturing both Clifford Brown and Sonny Rollins, his bands of the
1950s were central to the development of hard bop, an offshoot that proposed
even greater equality for rhythm sections. He was the first name musician to
lay everything on the line in support of civil rights and black power: We
Insist (1960) was the period's most forthright jazz polemic. In 1973, when
he started bringing tuned percussion together with skins, membranes, and
metals of indeterminate pitch in the percussion ensemble M'Boom, the result
sounded like a logical outgrowth of his own drum solos, which had always
been orchestral in shading and design.

Never content to trade on his laurels as a bebop elder statesman, Roach also
collaborated with playwright Sam Shepard, with rappers and breakdancers, and
with such avant-garde untouchables as Cecil Taylor and Anthony Braxton.
Interviewing drummers, I used to buddy up by asking them what made them and
their brethren such good bandleaders. None ever demurred. If I recall, Roach
said something about their being de facto conductors. But given all he'd
accomplished and everything he stood for, the question hardly needed asking
in his case.