[JPL] The Jazz Session #29: Donny McCaslin!

Jason Crane | The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Mon Sep 10 16:49:33 EDT 2007

Hello friends,

Welcome to the latest update from the world of Jason Crane!

THE JAZZ SESSION

-- THE JAZZ SESSION #29: DONNY McCASLIN. Jason Crane interviews
saxophonist Donny McCaslin. One of the busiest saxophonists in the
business, McCaslin plays with Maria Schneider, Dave Douglas and many
others. He also fronts his own groups, including the band on his new
CD, In Pursuit (Sunnyside, 2007). A follow-up to his critically
acclaimed record Soar (Sunnyside, 2006), In Pursuit features
compositions commissioned for a Chamber Music America grant. McCaslin
talks about his father’s influence, playing with Gary Burton, and the
life of an in-demand musician.

<http://thejazzsession.com/2007/09/10/the-jazz-session-29-donny-
mccaslin/>

COMING UP: What a list! The months ahead will feature trumpeter
Avishai Cohen, Anat Cohen, Tord Gustavsen, Matt Shulman, Joan Stiles,
Laurie Pepper (wife of Art Pepper), Ben Sidran, Ingrid Jensen, Brian
Groder, Hector Martignon, the Stryker-Slagle Band, Chris Jentsch,
Kahil El'Zabar, and more!

Here's how to listen:

1. Visit <http://thejazzsession.com> and use the easy built-in player
or the RSS feed links.

2. If you use iTunes, clicking on the following link will open
iTunes, subscribe you to the show, and download the most recent
episode. This really helps the show grow, so please use this method
if you can:

<itpc://thejazzsession.com/?feed=rss2&category_name=podcast>

TJS CAUSE OF THE MONTH: Tipitina's Foundation

The mission of the Tipitina’s Foundation is to restore Louisiana’s
irreplaceable music community and preserve the state’s unique musical
cultures. The history of the Tipitina’s Foundation originates from
the Tipitina’s music venue, a revered cultural icon that continues to
be instrumental in the development and promotion of New Orleans music
around the world. The foundation works to support childhood music
education, the professional development of adult musicians, and the
increased profile and viability of New Orleans music as a cultural,
educational, and economic resource.

Please help these folks do what they do by visiting their Web site:

<http://www.tipitinasfoundation.org/>

Thanks.

ROCBIKE.COM

RocBike.com is my bicycling blog. It features a daily link roundup,
essays about cycling, product and bike shop reviews, photos and
videos from different rides, and more. Be sure to check out:

-- A debate about building alliances in the cycling community
-- My recent trip to Emasculation Mountain
-- And more!

It's all at <http://rocbike.com>!

MY JAZZ WRITING FOR THE GUIDE @ THE ISLAND PACKET

I used to work at the Island Packet, the newspaper of Hilton Head
Island. My good friend Jeff Vrabel now edits The Guide, the paper's
weekly entertainment magazine. Last week's issue featured my
interview with jazz singer Terry Blaine:

<http://thejazzsession.com/2007/08/28/article-audrey-shakir/>

That's the update. I'll talk to you again next week.

Thanks again for being part of my little world. I'm glad to have you
in it.

Peace and love.

See you on the scene,

Jason

--
Jason Crane
Host, The Jazz Session
jason at thejazzsession.com
<http://thejazzsession.com>
TEL: +1-585-473-5304

About the show: The Jazz Session

The Jazz Session is a weekly jazz interview
show featuring conversations with
musicians, writers, broadcasters, podcasters
and more. The show is hosted by All About
Jazz contributor and longtime radio
broadcaster Jason Crane. The show is
available at http://thejazzsession.com
or in iTunes.