[JPL] Joe Zawinul

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 11 12:50:50 EDT 2007

What we're seeing unfortunately was inevitable...the losing of a generation. It's happening right before our eyes and that generation is just about gone now. The scope of Zawinul's work can't be underestimated. He helped to reshape the jazz music landscape like Max. The thing that is more revealing to me with Zawinul is that when he decided to go electric...what he played reflected someone that had dealt with deep musical applications through swing and high level improvisation. I'm saying this because he was part of the few that went in that direction that set a standard for how fusion and electronic jazz...at least at its inception...should have been played. His history helped him bring something meaningful and lasting to the table once he decided to change his artistic direction.

  With that background...he...along with Wayne Shorter...created one of the most visionary ensembles ever. They raised the bar like Miles, Chick, McLaughlin, Herbie...to name a few. When you think about it all of the innovative fusion ensembles were led by artists that came out of a straight up jazz background. That's important and we see it now. They did it the right way...putting the art first. Then we saw the coming of those that didn't have that background and what they sounded like.

  Jae Sinnett