[JPL] Joe Zawinul

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 11 13:59:53 EDT 2007

My personal memories of Joe go back to Cannonball and the first time I
heard Mercy, Mercy, Mercy was in October 1966 at The Penthouse in
Seattle before the record came out.  It was during a live weekly
broadcast I was doing from the club on KING-FM and I thought  "That has
hit record written all over it.  I bet even the AM stations will play
it."    ... and they did!   That funky Austrian wrote some of
Cannonball's greatest hits, and he played both acoustic and electric
piano with that band.  One of my favorites during his Cannonball period
was an extended piece in 7/4, "Seventy Four Miles Away".

Another memory, The Seattle Jazz Spectacular at the Arena 1970 included
Cannonball, Miles' Bitches Brew band, Herbie's Sextet, Bill Evans Trio,
Don Ellis Orchestra and a young singer, Roberta Flack.   We had a
"piano workshop" that included Joe Zawinul, Bill Evans, & Herbie
Hancock.   Joe Zawinul (still with Cannon) pulled me aside for a minute
and says, "Gimmie your card, man.  Wayne and me are startin' a new band
and I want to send you a copy."   That band turned out to be Weather
Report.

Jim