[JPL] Joe Zawinul

Bradley M. Stone bstone at science.sjsu.edu
Tue Sep 11 14:01:19 EDT 2007

Ditto, Jae.... His importance cannot be underestimated... From Ben
Webster to Cannonball (more important straight ahead work) to Miles to
Weather Report to Weather Update to Zawinul Syndicate.... An era comes
to a close.  I had the pleasure of interacting with him on several
occasions, interviews and just hangin' with him, and he was a real
character - very funny and a great cat.  I'll never forget the occasions
of seeing the Syndicate perform at the Kuumbwaa in Santa Cruz, and the
incredible funky, rhythmic stuff they laid down.  Joe was a master
improviser, who would often do "more with less", with his occasional
choice placement of a chord here and there.  He will be greatly missed -
truly one of a kind.

Rest in peace, Joe - Aloha!

Brad Stone

Dr. Brad Stone, Faculty Advisor
Music Director; Jazz, Blues and World
KSJS-FM
San Jose State University
San Jose, CA   95192-0094

Home Office:
9381 Durango Lane, Gilroy, CA  95020
408-848-6266
bstone at science.sjsu.edu
Music Calls: Weds., 8:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m., PT