[JPL] Joe Zawinul

jazzrockworld rick at jazzrockworld.com
Tue Sep 11 14:16:54 EDT 2007

>From my site:

The musical seeds that Joe brought to the Miles Davis 'Silent Way' and
'Bitches Brew' sessions have blossomed in ways we could have hardly dreamt
possible.

In my heart I feel that Joe's contribution to music and especially fusion,
[while generally accepted as monumental among musicians], has been clearly
misunderstood and vastly under appreciated by fans and critics as a whole.

Personally, I feel that while Miles gave fusion the official 'stamp of
approval', and Mahavishnu turned the earth on it's axis, it was Joe that
gave the fusion movement it's groove, accessibility, creativeness, and kept
the 'jazz' improvisational aspects intact, for those that followed.

Joe Zawinul
July 7, 1932 to September 11, 2007 (It seemed this day would never come, but
now that it's here, I'm stunned and paralyzed by it's reality).

Now, the music of Joe's we have always treasured, has shifted to
'priceless'.

Our deepest condolences to the Zawinul family and all music professionals
and fans around the world.

Rick Calic
www.jazzrockworld.com