FW: [JPL] Zawinul, Cannonball & the Panthers

Seymour, Bob BSeymour at wusf.org
Tue Sep 11 17:16:18 EDT 2007

I passed this along to my colleague Gig Brown, an authority on Cannon
(who was born 79 years ago Saturday, on Lake Avenue in Tampa).   What an
indelible experience that first hearing of Joe's name was, on
Cannonball's spoken intro to "Mercy, Mercy"...
Bob Seymour

Arturo,
In my research of Cannonball I've never heard that particular myth but
it rings of the controversy that surrounded Miles in his decision to
hire Bill Evans. Cannonball certainly would have been aware of that
incident and it most assuredly would have shaped his response to the
unwarranted criticism.

Gig Brown
Interim Program Director
WUSF Public Broadcasting
gbrown at wusf.org
(813) 974-8629
www.wusf.org

I have heard many times that during the late 60s Cannonball was
requested by
the Panthers to replace Joe Zawinul in his band with a Black pianist,
supposedely Julian replied, "get me a Black piano player that plays like
him
and I will"  Is this a true story or a myth? Anyone have any insight
into
this incident?

Arturo