[JPL] Joe Zawinul

Bradley M. Stone bstone at science.sjsu.edu
Tue Sep 11 18:43:47 EDT 2007

... Yeah, and Joe's touch, rhythmic feel, patches, timbres and tone colors on the synthesizer made him identifiable in two notes!

Brad

Nick Francis wrote:

My Zawinul moment---1986, right after Weather Report officially broke-up, Joe did a solo tour.  Not solo piano. Oh no. It was Joe, amongst a maze of banks of synths and drum machines. He played a small restaurant/club in Albuquerque, and rocked the joint. I interviewed him the day of the gig and he said he was going out on the road to "make the machines sing".

He was one of the few musicians of his time who did not fear the new technological and cultural changes around him; instead he embraced them.  And he wrote two of the best tunes from the latter part of the 20th century (Mercy Mercy Mercy and Birdland).  Yeah, baby!