[JPL] Zawinul, Cannonball & the Panthers

Phillip Greenlief pgsaxo at pacbell.net
Wed Sep 12 10:12:04 EDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
On Behalf Of jazzrockworld
Subject: [JPL] Zawinul, Cannonball & the Panthers
I heard the same thing about Miles [should be] replacing McLaughlin back
then, with a similar response.

PG:
Yeah, but Miles had already taken shit for hiring Bill Evans...

Jazzrockworld:
There's probably some history with Jimi Hendrix and the Experience along
the
same lines, which may have led to the Band of Gypsys line-up (just
guessing).

PG:
Nah, Hendrix put the "Experience" band together when he was living in
London. There were problems, apparently, from the get-go - Noel Redding
was a guitarist, not a bassist, and although the gig was probably the
only thing we'll ever really remember him for, he wanted to be more in
the limelight - out front - in other words. Although they made some very
forward recordings for that time, both Redding and Mitchell were
dissatisfied that they didn't have more of a role in the direction of
the group.

Jimi had played with lots of black musicians before leaving the states
for his stay in England, when he put The Experience together. You can
see in the later recordings that he was doing a return to roots kind of
thing - focusing on the blues, in particular. Electric Ladyland is
Jimi's "White Album" in many respects, where you can see him exploring
more of his interests (beyond the psychedelic sound), and the blues
plays really heavy on that album. It's the last recording he did with
The JH Experience. He built his studio (Electric Ladyland) and just
started inviting everyone he knew over for sessions...that's how that
album came together...the material on it is half Experience, half jam
sessions...

It seems clear to me that if he had lived longer, he would have returned
to more experimental sounds. And it is well documented that Miles wanted
to bring Jimi into the band - I think they did do some jamming together
(right? - I've read a few of those Miles biographies/autobiographies,
and I can't remember the details, apart from Miles believing that Jimi
was "the greatest guitarist alive"). It's too bad (for so many reasons)
that he didn't live longer. I wonder what Bitches Brew would have
sounded like with Jimi on it...I'm obviously not the first person to
wonder such things.