[JPL] Ken Burns: The War - radio special update

Andy.Cahn at sonybmg.com Andy.Cahn at sonybmg.com
Wed Sep 12 16:19:13 EDT 2007

Dear programmer -

I am happy to announce these updates about our upcoming Ken Burns: The
War radio special.  This new one-hour radio documentary program will be
ready for you to air as early as Friday 9/21, in advance of film's PBS
premiere on Sunday, 9/23.  The radio show will be available online PRX,
Content Depot and Audioport by next Tuesday 9/18 and I will confirm this
once its ready.  I can also Fedex CDs to anyone without access to these
systems who plan to air the show the following weekend.

Can you let me know when you plan to air it, which online distribution
systems you use, and if you will need the show on CD?  Please also
specify which version you want - 59:00 with two one-minute breaks, or
54:00 with those two breaks plus a space for news.  You don't need to
I sent directly to you.

Here is some more information on the program.

KEN BURNS: THE WAR

This new one-hour radio documentary goes behind the making of Ken Burns'
latest film for PBS - THE WAR.  Burns and co-producer Lynn Novick
discuss what inspired their latest project, and how the soundtrack music
helped to underscore the narrative of the film.  Songs from the WWII
era, archival news footage and speeches by world leaders are included to
provide additional historical context.  Chuck Granata, an historian of
music from the 1940s, is also interviewed.  The host is David Cruz, news
anchor from NPR station WBGO-FM in Newark, NJ.

THE WAR, a seven-part series directed and produced by Ken Burns and Lynn
Novick, premieres on PBS stations on Sunday, September 23, 2007.  It
tells the story of the Second World War through the personal accounts of
a handful of men and women from four quintessentially American towns.
The series explores the most intimate human dimensions of the greatest
cataclysm in history - a worldwide catastrophe that touched the lives of
every family on every street in every town in America - and demonstrates
that in extraordinary times, there are no ordinary lives. More
information is online at www.pbs.org/thewar
<BLOCKED::http://www.pbs.org/thewar> .

Sony BMG Legacy Recordings will release the official CD soundtrack for
THE WAR on Tuesday 9/25, as well as related compilations of music and
spoken-word recordings of the WWII era.  More details about these titles
are online at www.soundsofthewar.com
<BLOCKED::http://www.soundsofthewar.com> .

Andy Cahn
Promotion Director