[JPL] Still Another Jazz Show Sept 10

Dick Crockett bopndick at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 13 01:55:20 EDT 2007

Still Another Jazz Show, Sept 10
TERENCE BLANCHARD  “Ghost Of Congo Square,” “Levees”
“Wading Through” “Ashe' “   A TALE OF GOD'S WILL( a
requiem for Katrina)
Blue Note
ELDAR    “Interlude # 1 Soul Glare”   “Prairie
Village' “Out Of Nowhere”    RE-IMAGINATION
GLORIA LYNNE     “Secret Of Life” “It's Magic”   FROM
MY HEART TO YOURS     High Note Records
ADONIS ROSE    “Lies In Beauty”   “Shed”   ON THE
VERGE  Criss Cross Records
CAROL WELSMAN    “Brazasia” “What A Fool Believes”
Justin Time Records
BOBBY BROOM   “Little Rascals Theme (Good Old Days)
SONG AND DANCE
Origin Records
LIVE AT THE MONTEREY JAZZ FESTIVAL     HIGHLIGHTS VOL.
1
Monterey Jazz Festival Records/Concord Jazz
Opening Night 1958,  Louis Armstrong and the Jazz All
Stars, “When It's Sleepy Time Down South”
Miles Davis Quintet 1963 “Autumn Leaves”
Thelonius Monk Quartet 1964   “Rhythm-a-ing”
Jimmy Witherspoon featuring Robbin Ford 1972 “S.K.
Blues”
Sarah Vaughn  “And I Love Him” 1971
This edition of SAJS begins with  TERENCE BLANCHARD'S
new cd, A TALE OF GOD'S WILL (A Requiem to Katrina.)
This disaster will resonate in our collective
consciousness for many years. The title of this cd is
perfect It's not politics, bad karma or the Devil's
due.  This is the music, a broil of blues/jazz and
gospel, certainly a tale of God's Will and the ominous
resulting pain it has caused. The cd has personal
reflections of  musicians in the band who live here in
New Orleans and are forever changed by this
catastrophe.  Blanchard's opening number, “Ghost Of
Congo Square” is bright and elegantly funky, then the
soft melodic, yet onerous “Levees” morphing into
“Wading Through” featuring the piano of Aaron Parks,
followed by  Parks beautiful composition, “Ashe'.”
This completed the first set of SAJS, the way to  hear
and experience this opening piece in full majesty.
This cd will have long term appreciation, the kind of
21 century modern jazz composition to be appreciated
by future generations.   In many ways it has a heroic
affect on us.
ELDAR, the young piano sensation, born in the Soviet
Republic of Kyrgystan, discovered at the Siberian jazz
Festival by Charles McWorter. Moved to Kansas City,
then Los Angeles where he attended Francis Parker
School, which I think is in Hollywood, now residing
New York City for good reason. He's exceptionally
talented. A post modern Mozart with a sense for his
innate expansive understanding of a brief history
(synopsis) of  modern jazz.   We played “Interlude
#1,” “Prairie Village” and  “Back Home,” an incredible
piece of music that portays what Eldar is about,
remarkable technique, a full grasp of the jazz
language and an expansive of what's next for the
music. We played RE-IMAGINATION, a spectrum view of
this young man's new voice.
GLORIA LYNNE  closes this set with  selections,
“Secret Of Life” and  “Out Of Nowhere” from this
singer's own eleven plays plus on this new cd. and  a
night in “Shangri-La” is a discriminating conclusion.
ADONIS ROSE QUINTET begins the second hour of SAJS
with the new cd, AT THE VERGE.  Drummer, Adonis Rose
has put together quite an aggregation of musicians
with  trumpet player, Nicholas Payton, saxophonist Tim
Warfield, Warren Wolf, vibraphone, Aaron Goldberg,
piano and bassist Reuben Rogers.  We played “Lies In
Beauty” and “Shed.” If you're post modern fan encased
in your ray bans, fedora, beret and other head gear,
or you prefer to wail in the breeze, this new Adonis
Rose will make sense.
Pianist and vocalist CAROL WELSMAN  graces our theater
of the mind with her new cd, entitled self same. A
native Canadian, Carol Welsman is lanky, joyful bright
somewhat homespun and natural in her vision and
language, which by the way is multi-lingual, well
versed in French, Spanish,  Italian and English. We'd
describe her as being of Scandinavian Italian assent
with a rare smile and joy that she brings to her
music. She's a fine smooth jazz artist, sophisticated,
surreal and marvelous that'll cross over as Eliane
Elias does...
We played “Brazasia” and the Kenny Loggins/ Michael
McDonald “What A Fool Believes,” one of those you play
over and over. The lyrics are serendipity.  This lady
has power of universal appeal. Her Portuguese es el
superbo! Excuse my butchering the language. Carol
Welsman does an excellent job. Just think of your
favorite jazz pop singers and Carol Welsman stands
out!
Chicago jazz guitarist BOBBY BROOM concludes this
segment from his latest SONG AND DANCE cd on Origin
Records.  This is the straight ahead Bobby Bloom and
one never grows tired of that somewhat loose edged
soft warm funky sound.  Dennis Carroll, bass and Kobe
Watkins on drums round out this trio. We played
“Little Rascals Theme(Good Old Days.)
The last segment of SAJS features LIVE AT THE MONTEREY
JAZZ FESTIVAL HIGHLIGHTS, VOL. 1., the first of many
cd's from Monterey Jazz Festival Records in joint
venture with Concord Records, featuring many
unreleased great live sessions throughout the first
fifty years. That's a lot of great unreleased music,
recorded on (little did we know there was state of the
art equipment back stage over the years) saving all
the love for this marking of the MJF fiftieth
birthday.
These cd's will become a must for neo SF Prada
markers, young post hipsters from UC Santa Cruz,  the
upper middle jazz urbanites and that ever hip,
somewhat discriminating local group of jazz
collectors, who've had season tickets to that festival
ever since Jimmy Lyons started it in 1958.
The first song is Dizzy Gillespie introducing Louis
Armstrong opening the first festival.
You hear the joy and repor between  Dizzy and Satchmo
and if you're aware of Satchmo's propensities
especially on a night in October in Monterey, when the
cool front moves in off the bay and since The
Fairgrounds is only a few blocks away, you better have
a sweater or a blanket or a taste or two on board, as
you're in for a jazz experience. For there have been
many memorable jazz moments over the years at the
Monterey Jazz Festival.
First we aired “Autumn Leaves”  with the MILES DAVIS
QUINTET from 1963. Miles has performed this song
through his incarnations. This performance features
his post modern debut band of Herbie Hancock, Ron
Carter, Tony Williams and a young kinetic saxophonist
George Coleman.
Then the THELONIUS MONK QUARTET 1964 PERFORMANCE with
Charlie Rouse, Ben Riley and guest artist Steve
Swallow on bass.  The tune was “Rhythm-A-Ning.”The
name of the tune is a dead give away! Monk is a
Salvador Dali in his modernist conception. You may not
see Monk dance around the piano as was his habit when
the band was on the stove-cooking. And if he did that
at Monterey, then the crowd would have cheered, that
would have threw him off his game. No doubt he
refrained, however, the music was great.
And there he is, attired his leisure suit, urban blues
singer JIMMY WITHERSPOON
'busting loose' with his 1972 performance of “S.K.
Blues.”
Finally, SARAH VAUGHN's, 1971 performance singing the
Lenin/McCartney's “And I Love Her.” Her band consisted
of Bill Mays, piano, Bob Magnusson, bass and Jimmie
Cobb drums.
What can you say about a vocalist with a four octave
range, you listen any chance you get!
I lived in the Monterey area for five years and
attended a few festivals there. Many poignant
memories. I saw an old friend  Jack Springer, who
hosted the all night jazz show at KJZZ San Francisco.
We first met in 1965 at a Limelight Records promotion
party on Woodward Ave in Detroit. He was at WGPR-FM
and I hosted jazz show at WQRS. We were a part of the
Jim Rockwell/Ed Love era in Detroit Jazz Radio.  Jazz
DJ's are like musicians who'll walk the mile to do the
gig, sometimes for very little bread, just to do the
gig and I've met many. Jack Springer passed away with
cancer a year later! He was a rare human who loved his
life of jazz and what he was doing with it. He was one
of the best all night DJ's, a member of the Late, Late
Jazz Show Hall Of Fame.
Later that evening , I saw Betty Carter in one her
last performances. Geri Allen could've been her
accompanist. Or John Hicks?  And then the late Sunday
night session with Kenny Burrell, Jimmy Smith, Wayne
Shorter and Wallace Roney.  It could have been
Shorter's return to performing. He was wood shedding a
couple years due to personal tragedies.
Vain glorious, yet mystical and seminarian, these are
my memories of Monterey.
There have been numerous memorable performances at
Monterey, especially when you have to snuggle up to a
taste or two at the night sessions on the main stage.
Now that you're aware of the ambiance, you're better
prepared to enjoy these live sessions from the
Monterey Jazz Festival archives.

Dick Crockett
STILL ANOTHER JAZZ SHOW
10AM & 10PM, Pacific