[JPL] Joe Zawinul

TOM MALLISON tomthejazzman at embarqmail.com
Thu Sep 13 14:02:12 EDT 2007

Thanks for all of the reflections on your experiences with Joe Zawinul.

Here are a few of my recollections.

My first experience with Joe was when he was with Cannonball and later Miles. He really excited me with is contributions.

I first saw Joe and Weather Report in the early to mid 70's while both Jaco and Wayne were with the group. As a matter of fact it was a double bill with Return To Forever with Chick and Stanley Clarke and Gail. What a night of musical enjoyment! I remember Joe cranking up the synthesizers and making it sound like a locomotive was coming across the stage from left to right. Jaco was in rare form and Wayne Shorter seemed to take a back row seat and just played his part and had little to do with all of the hoopla. It made me think Wayne would not be with Weather Report much longer since he had moved to a back row seat in the group.

I saw Joe with the Syndicate a couple of years ago at the JVC Newport Festival and he was still doing his thing and was quite entertaining and very worm to the crowd and especially back stage one on on or in small groups.

With his passing I have been doing lots of thinking about his musical evolution. To me it seems he was performing, writing and involved with WORLD MUSIC before there was such a genre and was one of the pioneers in what we today know as World Music. He has left a tremendous legacy and will be remembered for his many contributions.

Mercy, Mercy, Mercy, Birdland and In A Silent Way will live forever as will many of his other selections.
ALOHA
Tom