[JPL] Why is there so much product if jazz is such a small % of industry

Arturo arturo893 at qwest.net
Thu Sep 13 16:07:59 EDT 2007

We all know that jazz is appx 3% of the total music industry as it is in the
output of radio. I for one although knowing jazz is not intended for the
masses would like to see that % rise. That said with the virtual elimination
of jazz by the major labels, their dropping of so many stand out names from
their roster,  why is it we are receiving more product than ever before?
Blaise Lantana asked to curtail female jazz vocalists releases, I concur,
however it should not stop there. Wouldn't less recordings be more effective
in elevating the genre in sales and performances? Is having 75 CDs on one's
desk to review a good thing? I have stated this before and will repeat,
jazz89KUVO has over 130 hours of jazz a week yet we can not even get close
to being able to play 1/2 of what we get. The majority of other radio
outlets have far less amounts of jazz programming a week, if we can not
handle the amount of music we get, how do others with 20 or 30 or even 50
hours of jazz cope with it?

Arturo