[JPL] Hendrix/Mitchell

Phillip Greenlief pgsaxo at pacbell.net
Thu Sep 13 18:07:28 EDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: jazzproglist-bounces at jazzweek.com
[mailto:jazzproglist-bounces at jazzweek.com] On Behalf Of Jae Sinnett
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2007 9:35 AM
To: jazzproglist at jazzweek.com
Subject: [JPL] Hendrix/Mitchell

I'm not so sure I agree in that Mitchell was unhappy not getting more
exposure. What more could he have done...musically speaking as a
drummer? Now the business may have been a different issue.

 PG:
I was unclear there - I meant Noel Redding was unhappy with lack of
personal exposure, not Mitch Mitchell. I always thought if Jimi would
have put Mitch back in the band with Billy Cox on bass, that would have
been awesome. It really sounds to me sometimes like Mitchell had heard
Tony Williams - because he really loosens things up in that group,
playing over bar lines and resisting the constant beat, in contrast to
the way Buddy Miles played, for instance.