[JPL] Why is there so much product if jazz is such a small % ofindustry

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 13 20:10:43 EDT 2007

Your thought on this is a good one Brad. From my point of view... one way to better the situation and be able to play more of the product is to not play what we do...as long. What is the usual time out for a CD in heavy rotation....8-12 weeks would you say? How about reducing that to 5-8 weeks for heavy. Then we could play more product. That's pretty much what I do. I try to play as much of what I deem to be quality material as I can. My guess is that the artists would rather have some play than none. Just a thought.

Jae Sinnett

"Bradley M. Stone" <bstone at science.sjsu.edu> wrote:
  This Week's JPL Sponsor: Barnstorm Productions - Charles Gatschet - STEP LIGHTLY

Guitarist Charles Gatschet takes you on a musical journey from Bebop to Brazil on his latest release STEP LIGHTLY. Growing up in Kansas City afforded Charles the opportunity to work with such jazz notables as Claude ''Fiddler'' Williams, Bobby Watson, Carmell Jones and many others who have made an impact on the K.C. jazz scene. With a stellar band featuring Ali Ryerson, Greg Gisbert, Ken Walker, Mark Simon, Eric Gunnison and Paul Romaine, Gatschet delivers an array of beautiful tunes, half of which are his own. Quoting from Dr. Herb Wong's liner notes: ''Jazz guitarist-composer Charles Gatschet's aesthetic backdrop and the music on STEP LIGHTLY, indeed, ignite reasons to step lively with felicity of Charles' mission in jazz.''
www.CharlesGatschet.com

Arturo,

This is a situation that we are all facing as jazz programmers. You are correct - those of us that are less than full time jazz can't even begin to approach playing all that you can (and as you say you can't even play half of it), and we have to say 'no' to many deserving releases. I don't think that it is effective or constructive to discuss cutting down on the number of releases, or even the number that is sent to radio - labels and individual artists will continue to put out CDs if that is their passion to do so. I think what we need to discuss more (hopefully at the next JazzWeek Summit - Ed, I'll be happy to put together a panel on this) as programmers are strategies to deal with all of this product with respect to trying to represent the new music fairly on the air. We can all learn from each other in terms of how we handle this on an individual basis, and perhaps can come up with some commonality and agreement on how we can collectively achieve the maximum benefit
 for new artists via radio airplay.

Brad