[JPL] Long tracks

Maurice Hogue onemansjazz at shaw.ca
Mon Sep 17 20:24:05 EDT 2007

Jim wrote:

>Jim Hall's Concierto (19' on CTI) named by Rick was certainly one of the
>faves for bathroom breaks in the 70s and 80s.  I know at least one station
>(unnamed) which still has its only bathroom at the end of a long hall,
>down long stairs and in the basement.  When that record was playing on
>weekends or late at night you knew no one would answer the phone.  The
>Miles/Gil Evans version of the piece runs 16 minutes.
>
>Others include:
>Bill Evans/Claus Ogerman "Symbiosis"  (25 minute first movement, 41
>minutes total),
>Phil Woods/ Patrick Williams "An American Concerto"  (15' first movement,
>38' total),
>and how about those Buck Clayton Jam Sessions, "Huckle-Buck" (20') and
>Robbins' Nest (17')?
>
>Then, of course, there's Mingus' "Epitaph" but that's many shorter
>movements so that probably doesn't count.  But there are a number of live
>performances by Mingus that run well over 15 minutes and some of those old
>Prestige jam sessions which sometimes ran a whole album side.
>
>This list will be welcomed by the weekend and late night announcers.
>
>.... been there myself,
>
>Jim Wilke
>Jazz After Hours, PRI
>www.jazzafterhours.org

For that really long break - I'm thinking about getting a pizza,
or oil change on the car -- the Aussie jazz group The Necks, has
recorded several disks that are one track only, usually around
55-60 minutes long.  Their bassist, Lloyd Swanton, is also a
jazz programmer in Sydney, and he told me to always keep a
Necks' recording in your bag. You never know.

Maurice Hogue
CKUW Winnipeg