[JPL] RE: pronouncers

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 18 00:53:04 EDT 2007

I'd be willing to wager that while Charlie Parker was "relaxin' in
Camarillo,"  he called it Cam-a-re-yo,  because that's where he was!
It may have been Anglicized later by non-Spanish speaking people in New
York, but considering the origins of the tune I don't think he was
referring to a New Jersey suburb called cam-a-real-low!    (Years later
it might have been a reference to a Camaro that was real low, but that
was after Bird.)

;-)

Jim

... and thanks, Mark, for correcting the spelling of "pronouncers"