[JPL] RE: pronouncers - Camarillo

Michelle Mobley michelle_mobley at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 18 02:07:32 EDT 2007

Okay...you sent me to Wikipedia:

"By the early 1820s, Mexico had gained independence from Spain and shortly
afterward California allied itself with Mexico. The Mexican land grant system
was liberalized in 1824 resulting in many large grants in California and the
proliferation of Ranchos north of the border. One grant to Jose Ruis created
the Rancho Calleguas in 1847, in the area that is now Camarillo. The grant was
later sold to Juan Camarillo and it was his sons, Adolfo and Juan, who are
credited with the founding of the town that was to bear their name. The earlier
proposed name of Calleguas was rejected as too difficult to pronounce."

- and -

"A California State Mental Hospital was located near the city, so that persons
suffering from mental illnesses or tuberculosis could recover in Ventura
County's balmy climate. Jazzman Charlie Parker's "Relaxin' at Camarillo,"
written while he was detoxing from heroin addiction, as a tribute to the
facility. The song "Camarillo" by punk outfit Fear is also written about the
facility. Furthermore, and perhaps most famous is the song "Hotel California,"
by The Eagles, which was written for lead singer Joe Walsh's brother, who
suffered from a mental condition and resided in the facility. The former
hospital is the now the site of California State University, Channel Islands."

Didn't Zappa do some kind of tribute to the place?