[JPL] pronounciations, Bronx

Larry Appelbaum jumpmonk at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 18 16:26:27 EDT 2007

From: Lisa Garrison, The South Bronx and the Founding of America (Bronx, NY:
The Bronx County Historical Society, 1987), 7.
================
In 1639, Jonas Bronck arrived in the New World. He purchased a 500 acre
tract of land east of Harlem between the Harlem River and the Aquehung,
which was the Native American name for the river that flows through the
center of the Bronx. Bronck built a house and began to farm the land. The
Native Americans called the land "Rananchqua," but the Dutch and English
began to refer to it as "Broncksland." In a similar fashion, the Aquehung
was soon known as Bronck's River. In time, the spelling was changed to
"Bronx," and eventually the entire area adopted the name.

Unlike the other boroughs, The Bronx is always referred to as "The Bronx,"
never just "Bronx." This is because the borough took its name from a river -
the Bronx River. Generally, the word "the" precedes the names of rivers and
other bodies of water; hence, the borough is known as the "The Bronx."