[JPL] Re: Willis Connover

Arturo arturo893 at qwest.net
Wed Sep 19 19:36:19 EDT 2007

Juan Carlos wrote <<< I`m preparing a special program on local and foreign
jazz radio DJ`s
and I`m looking for a fragment with the voice of Willis Connover >>>

Buenas mi estimado colega Juanito...

The Charlie Parker-Dizzy Gillespie Live at Town Hall-1945 previous
unreleased concert issued last year by Uptown Records includes Willis
introducing some of the numers. There is also Willis Connover talking about
Charlie Parker at the concert he showed up unnanounced in Washington circa
1953 with the Orchestra on Elektra Musician Records, I have the Lp but it
was re-issued by Blue Note Records(EMI) with bonus material

Mny post 1959 Cuban musicians like Paquito, Arturo, Chucho, Ignacio, El
Negro  will tell you if it wasn't for Willis on the V of A they wouldn't
have heard any jazz in Cuba in the 1960s and '70s.

Tremenda idea, que tengas un buen programa

Arturo