[JPL] One final pronunciation curiosity post

Arturo arturo893 at qwest.net
Wed Sep 19 20:02:42 EDT 2007

After I responded to our own Juan Carlos from the capital of Colombia,
Bogotá it reminded me of a little township of Bergen County-New Jersey
nestled in between Hackensack and Teaneck named Bogota, they say it Ba GO ta
instead of the proper Bo Go TAH, accented final syllable. I always get a
charge of hearing folks from Mass. pronounce the town of Peabody as it is
not the same as it appears or how the same town name in Kansas is said.

Arturo