[JPL] One final pronunciation curiosity post

George Thomas jazz at vpr.net
Wed Sep 19 20:15:12 EDT 2007

> After I responded to our own Juan Carlos from the capital of Colombia,
> Bogotá it reminded me of a little township of Bergen County-New Jersey
> nestled in between Hackensack and Teaneck named Bogota, they say it Ba GO
> ta
> instead of the proper Bo Go TAH, accented final syllable. I always get a
> charge of hearing folks from Mass. pronounce the town of Peabody as it is
> not the same as it appears or how the same town name in Kansas is said.
>
> Arturo

Arturo,

Reminds me of my first weeks on the air at Vermont Public Radio with
an eagle-eared listenership ready to pounce as I mispronounced such VT
towns as Calais (not Cal-LAY, but Cal-us). Oy veh!

George

Jazz In The Evening with George Thomas
Vermont Public Radio
365 Troy Ave
Colchester, VT 05446

jazz at vpr.net
www.vpr.net/jazz
Tu-Th 8-10pm, Fr 8pm-mid

--
This message has been scanned by MailScanner