[JPL] One final pronunciation curiosity post

Michelle Mobley michelle_mobley at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 19 21:08:26 EDT 2007

--- Arturo <arturo893 at qwest.net> wrote:

> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> After I responded to our own Juan Carlos from the capital of Colombia,
> Bogotá it reminded me of a little township of Bergen County-New Jersey
> nestled in between Hackensack and Teaneck named Bogota, they say it Ba GO ta
> instead of the proper Bo Go TAH, accented final syllable. I always get a
> charge of hearing folks from Mass. pronounce the town of Peabody as it is
> not the same as it appears or how the same town name in Kansas is said.
>
> Arturo

Of course, Arturo is the be-all-and-end-all of proper pronounciation.  What
about the very ethnic word of Lima.  I’m surprised, Arturo, that you have not
used this four letter word as a platform for Spanish superiority.  Sure, the
bean’s origin was in Meso-American, but the Peruvian city was named by those
Meso-Americans, and not by the bloodthirsty conquistadores who slaughtered and
enslaved them, and not for the legume.  I also found that the Spanish word
"lima" means something sharp, pointed or jagged.  The old Roman goddess of
thresholds was named "Lima".

Actually, by 1300 AD, cultivation of the legume had spread to North America.
How did the bean get that name?  "During the Spanish Viceroyalty of Peru, lima
beans were exported to the rest of the Americas and Europe, since the boxes of
such goods had their place of origin labeled "Lima - Peru", the beans got named
as such." – again with the Wikipedia.

And, although you will declare that the U.S. towns of Lima, Montana, Lima, New
York, Lima, Ohio, Lima, Wisconsin or Lima Street in Aurora, Colorado (and
OMG
Lima, Sweden) are mispronounced by us pesky Caucasian/Angloids, I would
still rather eat plate of lye-ma beans and ham hocks with my cornbread.  I just
don’t think lee-ma beans would be the same.

- Michelle from San Peeeedro