[JPL] Re: Willis Connover

mark zaborney mzaborney at wcnet.org
Thu Sep 20 01:01:52 EDT 2007

The Bird-Diz Town Hall 1945 CD features intros by Symphony Sid, not Willis Conover.
But Willis C. intros (or outros) are featured on the early 1980s Columbia double LP, "Newport Jazz Festival Live -- Unreleased Highlights from 1956, 1958, 1963." Just those snippets of that great voice certainly made an impression on me. Don't know whether that's every been reissued to CD. But I don't recall that Willis' voice made it on to the Newport 50th anniversary CD collection, "Happy Birthday Newport."

Mark Zaborney
WBGU, 88.1FM
Bowling Green, Ohio

The Charlie Parker-Dizzy Gillespie Live at Town Hall-1945 previous
unreleased concert issued last year by Uptown Records includes Willis
introducing some of the numers. There is also Willis Connover talking about
Charlie Parker at the concert he showed up unnanounced in Washington circa
1953 with the Orchestra on Elektra Musician Records, I have the Lp but it
was re-issued by Blue Note Records(EMI) with bonus material