[JPL] Next Week on XM 72-Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Sep 20 08:52:56 EDT 2007

The ageless French violinist Jean-Luc Ponty amazingly turns 65 on Saturday so we’ll celebrate his incredible life and career with various features this week on XM 72-Beyond Jazz.  Of course there’s a lot more going on so read below, listen and spread the word!  Thanks!

Russ Davis
Program Director
Beyond Jazz
XM Satellite Radio
33 West 60th Street
10th Floor
New York, NY 10023
russ.davis at xmradio.com

XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (24-30 September 2006)

This Monday, September 24th we’ll present another edition of our feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of the timeless music of JEAN-LUC PONTY! As we begin the week-long celebration his birthday this Saturday, we’ll give you a full hour of some of the great violinist’s finest music interspersed with some of Jean-Luc’s own words as he tells the stories that shed light on his wonderful career. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 11 PM Eastern/8 PM Pacific, and this week it’s JEAN-LUC PONTY in the spotlight on Beyond Jazz.

This week enjoy another edition of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION! hosted by Michelle Sammartino...an hour of jamband jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' tunes. Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific. This week Michelle gives us Bill Frisell doing a Miles Davis song as well as Miles himself, some classic Herbie Mann, new grooves from Up, Bustle & Out and the Spam Allstars and much more.

This Wednesday and Sunday, join us for JEAN-LUC PONTY LIVE @ XM on LIVE @ BJ'S! Every Wednesday night at 11 PM Eastern/8 PM Pacific and Sunday at 8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific you can spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on XM, and this week we’ll take you to the XM Performance Theater in Washington, DC to hear the French master JEAN-LUC PONTY and his awesome band perform a set that includes not only cuts from his newest work, “The Acatama Experience” but also some crowd-pleasing classics from days gone by. It’s JEAN-LUC PONTY LIVE @ XM on this week’s addition of LIVE @ BJ'S!

It’s a JEAN-LUC PONTYFEST on this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!  Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fusion Era. Well, this Friday’s edition will be a very special one since it’s the birthday of one of the greats of Fusion history, Jean-Luc Ponty. Each hour beginning at 7 AM Eastern/4 AM Pacific until midnight Eastern/9 PM Pacific you’ll hear a classic fusion piece featuring the great French violinist, either solo, with The Mahavishnu Orchestra, Frank Zappa or George Duke. It’s a JEAN-LUC PONTYFEST on this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!

THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN! This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN!” Join the newest voice on Beyond Jazz, award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin in our studios in Chicago as he covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective.  Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT, Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN,” and on this week’s edition Mark runs down the top 20 on the latest Beyond Jazz chart and tells you how you can get your own copy.

This Saturday, September 29th, we'll present another edition of our weekly feature WORDS & MUSIC on BEYOND JAZZ that gives us a chance to celebrate one of the most famous jazz men of all time on a special presentation titled “HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JEAN-LUC PONTY!” Join Russ Davis as he shares portions of his many conversations over the years with the world-famous French violin master. Plus we’ll hear cuts from his incredible career that spans parts of five decades including some of his brand new release “THE ACATAMA EXPERIENCE.” Interview segments followed by his great music will begin each hour from Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific).  It's “ HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JEAN-LUC PONTY” on WORDS & MUSIC, Saturday from BEYOND JAZZ.

PREMIER SUNDAY on Beyond Jazz…XM 72
If you’re brave enough and have a little time on your hands to hear some new music then join us this Sunday night,  September 30th for music from 9 new releases on another Premier Sunday here on Beyond Jazz. First, it’s the great Herbie Hancock, with another inventive project, this time taking on the songs of Joni Mitchell with the help of an all-star cast as you might imagine on his new one titled “River-The Joni Letters.” Then it’s the last in the series of three releases by Charlie Hunter and Bobby Previte, under the name Groundtruther, this time with special guest John Medeski as they give us a wild and wooley thing titled “Altitude.” Then it’s the return of English Acid Jazz pioneers  The James Taylor Quartet giving us a great, new work that revisits the wonders of Motown. It’s titled “Don’t Mess With Mr. T-JTQ Plays Motown.” Then we travel coast to coast and beyond to give you great new stuff. First, from Chicago, it’s guitarist John McLean and a host of his fellow Chicagoans on his latest release, “Better Angels.” You’ll hear a great band from Denver called Cique (pronounced SICK) with help from guitar legend John Abercrombie on their new one titled “Cique.” We’ll head to the Bay Area for the music of a hard groovin’ band from San Francisco led by drummer Wally Schnalle on their new one titled “Physics & Magic,” followed by a live set recorded at Yoshi’s in Oakland by piano legend McCoy Tyner alongside Christian McBride, Joe Lovano and Jeff “Tain” Watts on the new CD “Quartet.” If you haven’t been able to come up with the money for that trip to Africa you’ve always dreamed of, don’t worry, as we take you to the West African country of Mali, where Dee Dee Bridgewater’s latest “Red Earth” as well as Leni Stern’s “Africa,” were both recorded. We know it’s a lot to digest but we heard you were hungry so bring us your plate and we’ll fill it up with 9 new releases coming your way beginning at 10 PM Eastern/7 PM Pacific, right after THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN on another Premier Sunday…part of The Sunday Specials, from XM 72, Beyond Jazz.