[JPL] Re: Willis Connover

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Sep 20 09:06:44 EDT 2007

Guys & Dolls...I do remember some Willis intros on record...there's one from Newport that stands out where Willis intros Miles and his band and they make a bit of fun of his very serious intro, saying something like "thank you John Cameron Swayze."  I've put in a call to John Stevenson at VOA, my boss there, and we'll see what he says about this.  We'll turn up more I'm sure as Willis appeared at lots of concerts and was famous with the artists and, as we all know, not very famous with Americans.  Such a strange thing.
If you haven't read it yet, please get a copy of the new bio of Willis written by Terence M. Ripmaster. It's titled Willis Conover: Broadcasting Jazz To The World.  Well worth your time.  If anyone would like to interview Terry you can email him at TRipma3036 at aol.com.
Russ Davis
VOA/XM