[JPL] Vocalists

Michael Valentine mjazzer at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 21 16:11:34 EDT 2007

  Judy Niemak Blue Nights

Jae Sinnett <jaejazz at yahoo.com> wrote:  This week's JPL sponsor: Outside Shore Music Wendy Fopeano ''Raining On The Roses''

''Wendy Fopeano sings with depth, creativity, and soul.'' Fred Hersch

Considered an exceptional singer by her peers, Wendy has surrounded herself with some of Denver's world-class talent for her second release on Outside Shore. The music spans a wide range of moods, rhythms, and tempos, from the exquisite beauty of Caminhos Cruzados to the wild ride of Caravan to the upbeat funkiness of David Murrays' ''Morning Song.'' Raised in Kansas City, Wendy started out playing bass, piano, trumpet and guitar before choosing voice as her main instrument. She currently hosts a show on jazz89 KUVO every weekday from 1 to 4 pm.

www.wendyfopeano.com

  Yes, we are inundated with vocal recordings and the piano trio as well. I was thinking though...while there is still time before we start with the best of the year I think this may be the first time...in a LONG time...that I will have vocal releases in my top picks category. Things could change but as of now the Kurt Elling and Jackie Ryan CD's are the cream of that crop IMO. I'm curious as to what other vocal releases folk are really diggin. The Gail Pettis is very nice as well.

  Jae Sinnett

  Tonight's top picks. What will you watch tonight? Preview the hottest shows on Yahoo! TV. --

Sponsorship information: jplsponsor at jazzweek.com

Peace &  Jazz

    Michael A. Valentine