[JPL] Iraq war songs

Jackson, Bobby Bobby.Jackson at ideastream.org
Fri Sep 21 17:30:13 EDT 2007

JPL panel,

Throughout our history there have been songs that capture and prime the
mindset of wartime America.

I can think of Yankee Doodle Dandy during the American Revolution.  The
Battle Hymn of The Republic and When Johnny Comes Marching Home for the
Civil War.  Over There, Anchors Aweigh and The Caisson Song during WWI.
Ken Burns has come up with 4 CD's of songs for WWII recently.  The
Korean conflict has Suicide Is Painless (Theme from M*A*S*H).  The
Vietnam conflict has many, from Bob Dylan's "Blowin' In The Wind to
Marvin Gaye's What's Goin On, to Jimi's Hey Joe, to Edwin Starr's War
among others.

What are the songs in our culture that capture the minds of "most"
Americans when you think about the first and second Iraq wars?  If you
can't think of any why do you think this is happening today?

I'm working on a piece in conjunction with the latest Ken Burns
documentary
"The War" that is about to be revealed over most PBS television stations
and would like to hear some of your comments about this.

Aloha,

Bobby Jackson