[JPL] Iraq war songs

Claudia Russell crussell at sdccd.edu
Mon Sep 24 14:29:40 EDT 2007

Intriguing question... I think for "most" Americans, it's kind of heartland-y
music.  Lee Greenwood's "God Bless The USA" almost made me crazy during the
1st Gulf War...  Now, it still seems most of the so-called patriotic songs
come from the Country charts.  With regards to our current war, I hear
protest songs, of sorts, coming from the rock world... Neil Young "Living
With War," Green Day's "American Idiot," and Pink's "Dear Mr. President" come
to mind.
In my own jazz space, I find music reflecting our conflicts in Ben Allison
and The Bad Plus ("Cheney Pinata" anyone?)
But, overall, it seems that the country is fragmented in such a way, that a
popular anthem may no longer be possible.

Peace,
Claudia
Claudia Russell
Program Director