[JPL] RE: Music software to 're-perform' jazz piano masterpiece

TradeSecrets/Mancuso's TradeSecrets at comcast.net
Mon Sep 24 14:33:02 EDT 2007

An audiophile's 2 cents -

Using technology to 'read & play' music for recordings has been applied
before.  First, there were player pianos and variants.  We have recordings
of George Gershwin piano rolls for example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Player_piano

In the digital domain, engineer Keith O. Johnson and the Reference
Recordings label did a series of projects in the 90's with Dick Hyman using
the Wayne Stanke designed Bösendorfer re-producing piano.  First in 1990
with Dick's "...Plays Fats Waller" , in '92 "...Plays Duke Ellington" and in
'98 "Recital".

Here's a brief explanation of the process taken from the RR website:

"NOTE: Hyman's solo performances, encoded on the Bösendorfer computer
reproducing piano, were played back live for our microphones. For the
Direct-to-CD (DCD) editions, the digitized signal was transmitted via
microwave to the CD glass master as the music was happening. No recording
tape of any kind was used, nor was the digital bitstream corrupted at any
stage by copying or editing. The very digits generated at the recording
session are engraved on the finished DCD."

Granted, Dick Hyman, personally, created the original performances by
playing them on the on the Bösendorfer re-producing piano before the
recording was made, unlike the Waller or Gould releases discussed here. But
isn't it fascinating to consider what artists performances would sound like
sans the corrupted historical recordings we have left to represent their
art?  It's not just 'Franken-musik'.

I worked for RR when Dick's CDs were released and it was very difficult to
get even savvy technical journalists to understand what we did in these
sessions.  The lack of digital rounding off on the digital direct-to-disc
releases is audible when compared to the taped recordings of these
performances released on normal CD when auditioned on a high resolution
audio system.

Binaural recordings have also been around for a long time and provide their
own unique perspective of musical performances.

We play recordings of musicians past, why not instruments?

Peace,

Jan Mancuso
Trade Secrets/KMHD
Portland, OR