[JPL] Iraq war songs

Jackson, Bobby Bobby.Jackson at ideastream.org
Tue Sep 25 01:49:48 EDT 2007

Hi David, Claudia and fellow JPLers,

I recently produced a piece that ran today on a locally produced cultural arts radio magazine that airs here in Cleveland, OH called "Applause."  It was done as a companion piece to the Ken Burns "The War" series that is on PBS television stations all over the country.

Burns has four CD's of music that is representative of the sound of the World War II.  Some of the pieces come from that era and some are inspired by that war.  It made me want to examine the role of music in the United States during wartime.  I could sing songs from just about every war the US has been in minus the Spanish-American War.  It dawned on me that there isn't alot of music out here that every American citizen can sing across the board (young/old/race/gender) whether it is for or against the Iraq crisis.   I found that particularly interesting.

My own series will be two pieces.  Today's piece featured commentary and music from Dr. Anthony Brown, leader of the Asian-American Orchestra.  I chose him (fellow JPLer) because his mother is Japanese and his father is African-American/Choctaw Indian.  They met at the end of WWII in Tokyo as Brown's father was part of the occupational forces that were sent to Japan.  His perspective I found to be very insightful.

My other guest was record promoter Mike Carlson based in Seattle.  He brought out some equally interesting points concerning how radio has chosen to deal with this situation in light of the villification of the Dixie Chicks some years ago.  He also (Claudia) spoke of the polar opposite genres of country and rap music and how they've approached the left and right sides of this issue.  Interestingly enough these genres are the most listened to in the United States today.

On Thursday, the second piece will run.  It will include Joe Fields, who was a teen during the war.  Dr. Herb Wong served as a host on Armed Forces Radio serving up GI's a chunk of V-Discs in the Pacific Theater.  He was also part of the Radio Corps that freed the Phillipines during that time.  My third guest is Gert Feller, the widow of A & R legend Sid Feller who also served during the war.  Each of these people having lived through this era bring interesting perspectives to the mindset of Americans as well as the function of music and radio during wartime.

We are living in dangerous times where our freedom of speech is being threatened and challenged by some of the very people who have been elected to protect it in political offices all over the nation.  As broadcasters, even music programmers let's be very conscious of what is happening on subtle levels and do what we can to bring this to light to our listeners.  I'm not suggesting to beat them over the head, but to raise the questions as I'm trying to do here.  To bring discussion about the finer points of  "the war" that is being waged within the boundaries of the United States.  The suppression of music is a signpost of what is happening on a larger scale.  We would be wise to pay attention.

Aloha,

Bobby Jackson
Cleveland, OH

It is creating pieces like this that make me excited about music programming.  It is richer than just playing an endless string of songs.  That's not to say that music sets aren't important.  It is in fact a degree of intellectual discourse that gives a richer context as it relates to our history as a culture.  Hey!  The music ain't bad either.... Hope you can check it out on Thursday on Around Noon  www.wcpn.org beginning at 12 p.m. EST.  I will post both interviews in mp3 form on the wcpn website under Jazz Tracks Destinations.