[JPL] Herbie Hancock/RIver

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 25 14:56:00 EDT 2007

Herbie's release is one of the most beautiful I've heard in a while. The vocal tracks overall are better than what was demonstrated on "Possibilities." Two I could do without. The vocals though aren't the most impressive thing to me here. It's his masterful use of space and harmonic textures that are used to create an introspective kind of tension. Then through the great harmonic mind of Wayne Shorter in and you have a very special mix. I love the instrumental direction of this record. Smart as hell and deceptive really....its understated quality could imply a simplicity that's not there. Very deep recording and Herbie once again proves he's in a unique league of greatness.

  Jae Sinnett