[JPL] Iraq war songs

Eric Jackson eric-jackson at comcast.net
Wed Sep 26 12:02:38 EDT 2007

georgetfuller at juno.com wrote:

>        leave it to common folk songs to protest this or that  ///   I
> have never heard  jazz or  blues protest anything ,,,, only to make a
> statement   --  Geo KRML

I'm not sure I understand the distinction you are making here. What is
the difference? Think back to the 60s and 70s and remember that one
reason for protests was consciousness raising.

I can't say much about Iraq war songs but it seems to me jazz players
have made a statement and protested for years.

What about Wynton's last CD? What about Armstrong's version of Black &
Blue? Or Ellington's Black, Brown and Biege, Mingus' Meditations On
Integration? Archie Shepp's Thngs Have To Change? What about Strange
Fruit? Think about Max Roach's music.

Eric Jackson
Mon - Thurs 8 pm - mid.
89.7 FM WGBH Boston