[JPL] PLAYLIST: WBCX 89.1 FM Sounds of Jazz Sep 29,2007

jazzhead jazzhead at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 26 21:31:32 EDT 2007

Playlist for Sounds of Jazz on WBCX 89.1 FM for Sep 29,2007

Part of our "Straight Ahead Saturday Night" line-up.

Featuring "Sounds of Jazz" with Mark Dove from 6PM to 12PM

"Sounds of Jazz" features straight ahead jazz primarily from the 1950's to the present. The shows mission is to spread the awareness of some of the country's greatest music and to feature local area artists in the Atlanta and the Southeast area live in the studio in interview segments to spread the word about the artists.

Playlist for Sep 29,2007

We're pulling out some rare grooves for this show as we feature the West Coast big band Supersax (orchestrated Charlie Parker for five saxophones - horns and rhythm section.)You'll hear a lot of their stuff that hasn't been in print for a long time so this should be a great deal of fun.

Hour 1

SUPERSAX - "Ko-Ko" - Supersax Plays Bird - (Capitol)

BRADFORD HAYES - "Tunji's Blues" - The Jazz Life - (Intensity Music)

MARIA SCHNEIDER ORCH. - "The Pretty Road" - Sky Blue - (ArtistShare)

SUPERSAX - "Star Eyes" - Supersax Plays Bird - (Capitol)

ALEX LEVIN TRIO - "Blues On Thursday" - A Reason For Being Alone - (Apology)

YUSEF LATEEF - "Straighten Up and Fly Right" - The Golden Flute - (Impulse)

WES MONTGOMERY - "D Natural Blues" - The Incredible Jazz Guitar - (Riverside)

SUPERSAX - "The Fruit" - Dynamite - (Pausa)

CHARLES MINGUS - "Boogie Stop Shuffle" - Mingus Ah Um - (Sony)

STEVE TURRE - "Steve's Blues" - Steve Turre - (Verve)

KEN WATTERS GROUP - "Jessica" - Southern Exposure - (Summit)

Hour 2

SUPERSAX - "Blues for Alice" - Dynamite - (Pausa)

PHIL WOODS - "Hand in Glove" - The Rev and I - (Blue Note)

HORACE SILVER - "Cookin At the Continental" - Retrospective - (Blue Note)

SUPERSAX AND L.A.VOICES - "Embraceable You" - Best of Supersax and L.A.Voices - (Group 7)

STEVE KUHN TRIO - "Jitterbug Waltz" - Live at Birdland - (Blue Note)

SUPERSAX AND L.A.VOICES - "Stardust" - Best of Supersax and L.A.Voices - (Group 7)

CHET BAKER - "A Foggy Day" - The Pacific Jazz Years - (Pacific Jazz)

EDDIE JEFFERSON - "I Cover the Waterfront" - Letter from Home - (Riverside)

SANDY DENNISON - "Like Someone in Love" - Jazzed! - (SDR)

Hour 3

SUPERSAX - "Parker's Mood" - Supersax Plays Bird - (Capitol)

KING PLEASURE - "Parker's Mood" - The Bebop Singers - (Prestige)

EDDIE JEFFERSON - "Parker's Mood (Bless My Soul)" - Letter From Home - (Riverside)

SUPERSAX - "Tempus Fugit" - Dynamite - (Pausa)

DUKE ELLINGTON - "Isfahan" - Far East Suite - (Bluebird)

VINCE NORMAN/JOE MCCARTHY BIG BAND - "Back to Bayview" - Words Cannot Express - (OA2)

SUPERSAX - "Parisian Thoroughfare" - Dynamite - (Pausa)

ROB LOCKART - "All or Nothing At All" - Parallel Lives - (Origin)

DANIEL BARRY - "Somewhere Far Away" - Walk All Ways - (OA2)

Hour 4

ELLA FITZGERALD - "What Is This Thing Called Love" - Sings the Cole Porter Songbook - (Verve)

SUPERSAX - "Hot House" - Supersax Plays Bird - (Capitol)

LOU DONALDSON - "Sputnik" - Complete Blue Note Sessions 1957-1960 - (Mosaic)

SUPERSAX - "Moose the Mooche" - Supersax Plays Bird - (Capitol)

JOEL FRAHM - "Bob's Blues" - We Used to Dance - (Anzik)

DAN FOGEL - "Blues After All" - 15 West - (Laughing Waters)

SUPERSAX AND L.A.VOICES - "Just Friends" - Best of Supersax and L.A.Voices - (Group 7)

JOHN MCLEAN - "Airmail Special" - Better Angels - (Origin)

ART FARMER/BENNY GOLSON JAZZTET - "Blues On Down" - Complete Argo/Mercury - (Mosaic)

Hour 5

SUPERSAX - "Wave" - Dynamite - (Pausa)

MOSE ALLISON - "Stop This World" - Allison Wonderland - (Rhino)

ART PEPPER QUARTET - "You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To" - West Coast Jazz Box Set - (Contemporary)

SUPERSAX AND L.A.VOICES - "Bossa No No" - Best of Supersax and L.A.Voices - (Group 7)

ART FARMER QUARTET - "I'm a Fool To Want You" - Complete Argo/Mercury - (Mosaic)

LAMBERT HENDRICKS AND ROSS - "Things Ain't What They Used to Be" - Hottest New Group - (Sony)

BRADFORD HAYES - "The Coaster" - The Jazz Life - (Intensity Music)

SUPERSAX AND L.A.VOICES - "Ko Ko" - Best of Supersax and L.A.Voices - (Group 7)

TAD BRITTON - "The Windmills Of Your Mind" - Black Hills - (Origin)

ALEXIS COLE - "Stompin At the Savoy" - Zingaro - (Canopy Jazz)

GREG CHAKO - "People Will Say We're In Love" - Paint a Picture Tell a Story - (Indep)

Hour 6

SUPERSAX - "Gloomy Sunday" - Dynamite - (Pausa)

BILL CHARLAP TRIO - "The Lady Is a Tramp" - Live at the Village Vanguard - (Blue Note)

TROY ANDREWS - "Twisted" - The End of the Beginning - (Treme)

SUPERSAX - "Be Bop" - Supersax Plays Bird - (Capitol)

NAT ADDERLEY - "Work Song" - Work Song - (Riverside)

COUNT BASIE - "Lester Leaps In" - At Newport - (Verve)

OSCAR BROWN JR - "But I Was Cool" - Sin and Soul - (Sony)

SUPERSAX - "Repetition" - Supersax Plays Bird - (Capitol)

STAN BOCK ENSEMBLE - "Ain't Nothin New" - Your Check's In the Mail - (OA2)

HORACE SILVER - "The Tokyo Blues" - Retrospective - (Blue Note)

BOB SHAW - "Round Midnight" - Musin - (Varga Sound)

Comments, requests, suggestions?

Mark Dove

Producer/host - "Sounds of Jazz"

WBCX 89.1 FM