[JPL] Euro-Jazz next week on XM 72 Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Sep 27 09:24:53 EDT 2007

We’re taking a look at the kinds of things that European-born jazzers have been up to for the past few decades all week long…join us…enjoy…and spread the word!

Russ Davis
Program Director
Beyond Jazz
XM Satellite Radio
33 West 60th Street
10th Floor
New York, NY 10023
russ.davis at xmradio.com

XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (1-7 October 2006)

This Monday, October 1st, is another birthday celebration as we present another edition of our feature MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of the music of one of the most celebrated bassists, composers and bandleaders in modern jazz, DAVE HOLLAND! During the hour you’ll hear the work of Dave’s award-winning Quintet and Big Band as well as his many collaborations with the likes of Pat Metheny, John Scofield, Miles Davis and others. Plus Dave will give us a look at his tremendous career in his own words. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 11 PM Eastern/8 PM Pacific, and this week we wish a very happy birthday to the great DAVE HOLLAND on Beyond Jazz.

This week enjoy another edition of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION! hosted by Michelle Sammartino...an hour of jamband jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' tunes. Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific. This week Michelle presents rarities from the likes for Grooverider, Spyritual and The Spencer Garn Organ Trio as well as old faves like Galactic & Bill Frisell and a live performance by an all-star band featuring John Scofield, Skerik and Stanton Moore live at the 2002 Jammy Awards.

This week, as we continue to remember the great Joe Zawinul, and as we focus on Euro-Jazz, we’ll take you to Europe’s most famous jazz festival to present WEATHER REPORT LIVE IN MONTREUX-1976 on LIVE @ BJ'S ! Every Wednesday night at 8 PM Pacific/11 PM Eastern and Sunday at 8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific you can spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on XM, and this week we’ll attend the legendary Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland in the year 1976 to hear possibly the greatest lineup Weather Report ever had featuring Joe Zawinul  on keys,  Wayne Shorter on saxophone, newest member Jaco Pastorius on bass and Alex Acuna & Manolo Badrena on drums and percussion.  In one special show which happened a year before the creation of their breakthrough masterwork “Heavy Weather,” the band blazed in this brilliant performance in beautiful Montreux and we’ll take you there.  It’s WEATHER REPORT LIVE IN MONTREUX-1976 , this week’s addition of LIVE @ BJ'S!

Join us this Friday for a special edition of our weekly feature, IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION that we call EURO-FUSION!  Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the mus ic became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fusion Era. Each hour beginning at 7 AM Eastern/4 AM Pacific until midnight Eastern/9 PM Pacific you’ll hear a classic fusion piece from those you know like Joe Zawinul, John McLaughlin & Jean-Luc Ponty, but also some you may not know, like England’s Soft Machine and Brand X, Germany’s Passport & Catch Up, Poland’s Michal Urbaniak & Extra Ball, Denmark’s Finn Savery Trio, Hungary’s Gabor Szabo, Finland’s Jukka Tolonen, and so many more.   Learn all about what was happening in Europe in the ‘60’s & ‘70’s on a special edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION that we call EURO-FUSION!

This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN!” Join award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin in our studios in Chicago as he covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective.  Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT, Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN,” and on this week’s edition Mark joins in on our look at current trends in European Jazz this weekend as he spends an hour with the talented pianist from Azerbaijan via Amsterdam, Amina Figarova, who stops by to chat with Mark and share some of her brilliant music.

Every Saturday is a chance to get to know the stars of Modern Jazz a little better with WORDS & MUSIC on BEYOND JAZZ, and on Saturday, October 6th, we'll cast our spotlight “across the pond” to take a look at what’s up in MOJA in the old country with a special presentation titled EURO-JAZZ!  Join Russ Davis as he hangs with 12 greats of modern jazz who just happen to hail from the great countries of Europe.  You’ll hear from Holland’s Candy Dulfer & New Cool Collective, England’s Claire Martin, Ronny Jordan & Bluey Maunick of Incognito , France’s Jean-Michel Pilc and Jean-Luc Ponty, as well as Joe Zawinul, Miroslav Vitous, Eldar and many more. Interview segments followed by music begin each hour from Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific). It's EURO-JAZZ, this week’s WORDS & MUSIC, Saturday from BEYOND JAZZ.

Every Sunday it’s the EMAIL REPLY HOUR…from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour responding to email messages by playing reques ted songs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.