[JPL] Iraq war songs

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 27 13:05:09 EDT 2007

This is getting a bit off-topic from Iraq war songs, but in response to
the article excerpted and quoted below...

I find myself 95% less exposed to celebrity and sensation-driven "news"
on TV due to the simple fact I rarely watch TV because I find almost no
programming of interest to me.  I can think of only two major
exceptions when I watched a lot:  coverage of 9/11 and Katrina.
Otherwise, I choose "traditional sources" for news - newspapers and
radio, exclusive of radio talk shows, especially the call-in variety.
We have a wide variety of media choices, but it appears many people
have tv on all day and assume the only choice they have is ... a
different channel.

One thing I really like about newspapers is I can turn the page if a
story doesn't interest me (an early print equivalent of fast-forward!).
  TV in general has jettisoned serious news coverage except for Sunday
mornings before I'm awake, and major far-reaching disasters.  (And why
do they always seem to be SHOUTING at me? - but that's another topic.)
Otherwise, not being a sports fan, I use my tv mostly for viewing
movies on DVDs.

And have you noticed more pop entertainment stories encroaching on npr
news? On the supposedly last bastion of radio news I'm encountering
worshipful reportage about movie stars, pop music idols, etc.  Although
I can't turn the page like the newspaper, I've rediscovered the "off"
button which I've learned to use when ANY  program I'm listening to
becomes annoying.

Jim Wilke
Senior Curmudgeon Reporter