[JPL] war songs and news

Blaise Lantana blaise.lantana at riomail.maricopa.edu
Thu Sep 27 21:24:42 EDT 2007

Thanks for a plug for the newspaper, Jim

Even though I work for an npr station, I too like my news read more than
heard.  PLUS some voices are just annoying and for some reason voice quality
is less important than ever on radio and tv.

In the past few years I have even found npr less interesting, but I thought
maybe it's just me, maybe I'm out of their demographic now that they are
reaching for youth.

Probably I like reading my news because I like skimming the slow parts, or
things I already know and re-reading something more technical. I also prefer
more depth and background to a story than just the highpoints.

I also read some online news sources which is not quite as good as a real
newspaper and a cup of coffee, but I still have control of the pace if not
the depth.  I never thought that reading the paper would mean I was old.
When I was growing up it meant you were thoughtful and intelligent.

Plus I really like using my ears for listening to music.

I live in a neighborhood with some first generation immigrant families,
Indian, Albanian, Korean.  Interestingly they all get the paper, the college
kids don't.

Blaise Lantana

Music Director

KJZZ Phoenix

(quoting from the article in)
the liberal media by Eric Alterman

It Ain't Necessarily So...

[from the September 10, 2007 issue]

(excerpt)

What appears to be going on here is not a rise in the size of the audience
that prizes Fox News-style nonsense. Rather, it's that the proportion of
people who get their news from traditional sources has sunk significantly.
Given their relative paucity of production values, talk-radio and cable news
programs can be profitably sustained with audiences that are a fraction of
those required by broadcast and entertainment programs. The fact that most
Americans find themselves increasingly alienated from the system that Rupert
Murdoch, Roger Ailes and Rush Limbaugh have pioneered has not led their
competitors to rethink the content of their broadcasts, only to focus more
intensely on what remains of their diminishing audiences. Given the tendency
of so many reporters to follow the herd news of the day--Edwards's haircut,
Hillary's cleavage--the net result is a perversion of our political process
in pursuit of an understandably alienated American public.

Can you imagine a worse way to run a democracy?