[JPL] Next Week on XM 72-Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Apr 3 10:03:32 EDT 2008

It’s week two of JAZZ APPRECIATION MONTH so there’s a whole lotta stuff going on!  Our theme this week is great MOJA keyboardists and one of the greatest of all time is having a birthday…HERBIE HANCOCK in the spotlight.  New music to add this Sunday too so CHECK IT OUT!

Russ Davis
Program Director
Beyond Jazz
(((XM))) SATELLiTE RADiO
33 West 60th Street
10th Floor
New York, NY 10023
russ.davis at xmradio.com

XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (7-13 April, 2008)

This Monday, April 7th, we’ll present another edition of our special feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of one of the most popular guitarists in jazz, LARRY CORYELL! You’ll hear the story of his incredible life and career and a full hour of his wonderful music as we celebrate one of America’s most beloved artists just a few days after his birthday on April 2nd. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, and this week it’s LARRY CORYELL!

This week enjoy another edition of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION hosted by Michelle Sammartino.  Michelle says if you listen to the show you’ll get music with that "jamband" jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' feel that ya just can't hear anywhere else. Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific. It’s JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION with Michelle Sammartino! This week, Michelle joins in our “keyboard” theme for our second week of JAZZ APPRECIATION MONTH with a show she calls “B3 GODS” featuring masters of the Hammond organ like Jimmy Smith, Robert Walter & Dr. Lonnie Smith.

This week we’re THE GREATS OF MOJA KEYBOARDS LIVE on LIVE @ BJ'S! Every Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and Sunday at 8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific you can spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on XM, and this week, as we continue our celebration of JAZZ APPRECIATION MONTH, we’ll focus on the best live performances we can dig up by the artists who have the magic touch on pianos, organs and electric keys. It’s Jimmy Smith, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Joe Zawinul and more. They’re THE GREATS OF MOJA KEYBOARDS LIVE on this week’s edition of LIVE @ BJ'S!

During the second week of our celebration of JAZZ APPRECIATION MONTH we’ll give you, as we give you every Friday, an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fusion Era. And this week’s theme is the THE GREAT FUSION KEYBOARDISTS. Beginning at 7 AM Eastern/4 AM Pacific until midnight Eastern/9 PM Pacific we’ll begin each hour with a classic fusion piece from the likes of Chick Corea, Joe Zawinul, Herbie Hancock, Jimmy Smith, Brian Auger,  and more. It’s THE GREAT FUSION KEYBOARDS on this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.

Listen twice this weekend for a special JAZZ APPRECIATION MONTH presentation celebrating one of the living masters of MOJA keyboards. Saturday morning at 10 AM East/7 AM West, and again on Sunday afternoon at 4 PM Eastern/1 PM Pacific, as part of our celebration of JAZZ APPRECIATION MONTH, Beyond Jazz celebrates the 68th birthday of HERBIE HANCOCK on Saturday April 12th with his 2005 appearance in the XM performance theatre in Washington, DC for ARTIST CONFIDENTIAL.  George Taylor Morris & a studio audience ask Herbie deep questions and enjoy his solo piano performances of his classics Watermelon Man and Maiden Voyage. So join us as we celebrate one of the living masters of MOJA with a special ARTIST CONFIDENTIAL. It’s HERBIE HANCOCK in the spotlight this weekend on Beyond Jazz.

This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN!” Join award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin as he covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective.  Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT, Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN,” and on this week’s edition Mark joins in the “keyboard” theme of our first week of JAZZ APPRECIATION MONTH with a show that focuses on one of the greatest keyboardists in jazz history, HERBIE HANCOCK, who celebrates his birthday on Saturday April 12th.

On Saturday, April 12th, the second weekend of our celebration of JAZZ APPRECIATION MONTH, Beyond Jazz presents another edition of “WORDS & MUSIC” as we begin our themed presentations based on instrumentaion, with a special show we call “THE QUEENS & KINGS OF THE KEYBOARD.” You’ll hear the thoughts and tunes of those who play piano…greats like Herbie Hancock, Renee Rosnes, Chick Corea, Eliane Elias, John Medeski, Larry Goldings and many more. It all starts at Noon and lasts through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific) as we begin each hour with conversation followed music from those who press those magical black and white keys to make great MOJA.  It’s “THE QUEENS & KINGS OF THE KEYBOARD,” the theme of this week’s edition of “WORDS & MUSIC.”

This Sunday, April 13th, will be another PREMIER SUNDAY here on Beyond Jazz as we spring two great new releases on you.  Last week we premiered the new release “PALMYSTERY” by bass-playing wizard VICTOR WOOTEN joined by an all-star cast including Karl Denson, Mike Stern, Neal Evans and others.  You’ll hear more from that great work all week long.  Now, get ready for more new stuff, and speaking of “all-star cast,” well it doesn’t get any more all-star than the incredible group of players that have come together to create a salute to Miles Davis with an Eastern influence on a new CD called “MILES FROM INDIA.” You’ll hear greats like John McLaughlin, Chick Corea, Mike Stern, Wallace Roney, Ron Carter, Marcus Miller and many more blending their style with sitars, tablas, violins and voices for a truly unique take on some of Miles’ most famous songs. Then  we’ll top it off with the lastest from trumpet master Dave Douglas and his electric band Keystone  with their new release Moonshine, inspired by the 1917 silent film of the same name by Fatty Arbuckle.  The band recorded the tracks live at the Bray Jazz Festival in Ireland then added more magic after the fact in the studio to create a truly unique recording.  So listen for these new releases beginning at 5 PM Eastern time, that’s 2 PM Pacific, this Sunday, April 13th,  another PREMIER SUNDAY here on Beyond Jazz.