[JPL] complete Kansas City Suite broadcast

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 3 21:03:20 EDT 2008

I know at least a few of you enjoyed the Origin CDs of the Seattle
Repertory Jazz Orchestra which I recorded in concerts.  Last month, I
recorded the SRJO in a concert performance of the full "Kansas City
Suite" by Benny Carter.   Benny Carter wrote the suite for Basie in
1960, and it's ten movements are musical vignettes of life in Kansas
City in the 30s when Basie was establishing his style and career as a
band leader.  It was recorded by the Basie band in 1960 and is
currently out of print and unavailable except used from $25 to $70.
Writer Doug Ramsey heard about the upcoming broadcast and here is what
he said on his blog "Rifftides" -
www.artsjournal.com/rifftides/2008/03/
listening_tip_kansas_city_suit.html

It's a magnum opus by a major jazz composer and I think we got a good
recording of it very well played in this live performance  by the SRJO.
  It'll air exclusively on Jazz Northwest on 88.5 KPLU this Sunday at 1
pm PDT in Western Washington;  4 pm EDT, 8 pm GMT, everywhere else at
www.kplu.org.   If you miss it, there will also be a podcast available
from kplu.org after the air date.

Jim Wilke
Jazz Northwest, KPLU