[JPL] Record Store Day

Jazz Promo Services jazzpromo at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 4 13:10:05 EDT 2008

http://www.recordstoreday.com/Home

April 19, 2008 is Record Store Day. The website states On this day, all of
these stores will simultaneously link and act as one with the purpose of
celebrating the culture and unique place that they occupy both in their
local communities and nationally. As all of you know, I am a lifelong vinyl
junkie, with some of my first musical memories coming from records that my
family had, and the ritual of going to a record store or record department
and taking it all in.

On April 19th, hundreds of record stores across the United States will
celebrate the integrity of the second best way to listen to music, and that
is the record. The first, of course, is seeing and hearing it in person, and
on this day a number of stores will have in-store or parking lot
performances by a wide range of artists, including San Quinn, King Britt,
Kill The Hippies, The Legendary Stardust Cowboy (yes, the one of "Paralyzed"
fame), Black Rebel Motorcycle, The New Pornographers, and a new band on the
rise called Metallica. While a record store seems dated by some, especially
those of the iPod generation, for many of us it's part of the habit. It's
more than just buying records and CD's, it's meeting people, hearing a story
being told by the clerk behind the counter and saying "hey, I know about
that and it sucks". It's very much about community spirit, knowing the
tastes of the locals but also how to sell good music to those who seek more
than the norm.

I hope you will participate in something that will be an annual event, and
in turn you can buy some new music. If you do attend a local event, take
some pictures and I'll run them in a future column and/or link to them. If
you capture some video, pass me a link and I'll share it with my faithful
readers.

KEEP VINYL ALIVE!!!