[JPL] STAR DUST

David Johnson djohnso2001 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 5 11:18:00 EDT 2008

There's actually a large historic marker on the sidewalk now instead.  (But Garcia's, sadly, is long gone from the premises...it's a wing joint named Buffa Louie's.)

David Brent Johnson
WFIU-Bloomington, IN

  P.S.  Richard Sudhalter's Carmichael biography gives the best, most-researched and detailed background I've come across yet on the composition of the song.  Also, check out WFIU's documentary, written and hosted by Tom Roznowski...some good background there, along with a brief clip of the Book Nook owner talking about Carmichael's late-night visit to work out at least part of the song:

  http://wfiu.org/afterglow_hoagy.htm

"Bradley M. Stone" <bstone at science.sjsu.edu> wrote:
  This week's sponsor: Mack Avenue Records

Going for Adds 4/1/08

Three time Grammy(R) nominated guitar virtuoso Stanley Jordan makes his much anticipated return to the national spotlight with his Mack Avenue debut ''State of Nature.'' Featuring Jordan on both guitar and piano, playing both simultaneously at times, State of Nature also includes Charnett Moffett on bass, as well as Kenwood Dennard and David Haynes on drums.

State of Nature, which includes beautiful versions of All Blues and Song For My Father, also contains nine Jordan penned originals, as well as Jordan's interpretation of Joe Jackson's Steppin' Out.

For more information....

http://www.stanleyjordan.com
http://mackavenue.com/
http://www.groovmarketing.com

Radio Promotion by: GROOV Marketing and Consulting

(877) 476-6832
Mark Rini x 1
mark at groovmarketing.com
Josh Ellman x 2
josh at groovmarketing.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Aloha,

I'd just like to add to Dick's posting on the composing of the classic
"Stardust". Hoagy wrote the tune while sitting at the piano at "The
Book Nook" in Bloomington, Indiana, directly across the street from the
Indiana University campus and Law Building. While a Ph.D. student at
IU, I frequently went to the pizza joint that occupied the space of the
original Book Nook, where there was a plaque on the building outside
commemorating the composition of "Stardust" on those premises. On a
recent trip back to Bloomington, I was disappointed to see that the
plaque was no longer to be found.

The light is on.

Brad

Dr. Brad Stone