[JPL] STAR DUST

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Sat Apr 5 18:12:18 EDT 2008

I always thought if you upped the tempo to a medium bounce (musical
term: "business man's bounce") and imagine Bix playing it on cornet
with Hoagy's swingy staccato piano at an Ivy League dance in the 20s,
you'd have a good impression of the tune's original sound - different
from the latter day legato ballad style associated with Billy
Butterfield and the Artie Shaw hit recording.   I don't really hear it
in "Singin' the Blues" except for a couple of brief phrases, but the
tempo and phrasing are appropriate, and most musicians are influenced
by those they play with.

Anyone know of a recording of the tune by Bix and Hoagy?   Sudhalter?
Applebaum?  allmusic.com lists 1935 recordings of the tune Stardust
(one word) and my connection times out before it can load them all.

Jim Wilke