[JPL] STAR DUST

Doug Crane dcrane at comcast.net
Sun Apr 6 03:00:27 EDT 2008

Here's a couple of links to stories that aired on
NPR regarding Stardust.  Susan Stamberg's story
includes a few interview clips with Richard
Sudhalter regarding the origins of the
tune.  About the lyrics Sudhalter says that
Irving Mills was the driving force in adding a
set.  Given Mills' propensity for adding his name
as a songwriter to pre-Blanton/Webster era
Ellington Orchestra tunes, I'm amazed that he
didn't list himself in this case.  Mills Music
was, however, the publisher.  Mills and his Hotsy
Totsy Gang recorded Stardust in September 1929 too.

The Stamberg piece also includes some audio clips
from Hoagy himself.  In one clip he talks about
how close he came to forgetting the tune before setting it to paper.

What made me search the NPR site for Stardust
info is that I remembered hearing the Scott Simon
interview listed below when it originally
aired.  (I don't remember it being so long
ago!)  Unfortunately NPR hasn't correctly
archived the 5/15/1999 airing of Weekend Edition
Saturday.  While the link functions it doesn't access the proper story.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1115358

All Things Considered, December 11, 2000 · Susan
Stamberg has the story of Stardust, written by
Hoagy Carmichael in 1927. It's part of the NPR
100 - our list of the 100 most important American
musical works of the last century. Carmichael's
melody for Stardust started off as an up-tempo
dance tune. It's been likened to a horn solo, and
many jazz musicians love to play it because its
roots are in jazz. But later, lyrics were added,
and it was slowed to a ballad. By the end of the
1930s, Stardust was an American classic. It's
been recorded more than two thousand times.
Carmichael loved the tune, and recorded several
versions himself. The melody came to him one
night while in school at Indiana University.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1050081

Weekend Edition Saturday, May 15, 1999 · Earl
Butler collected over 1800 versions of Hoagy
Carmichael's song "Stardust." Scott talks with
his widow, Betty Butler, who donated the
collection to an archive at Indiana University.

Doug Crane
dcrane at comcast.net
KUVO Denver 89.3 FM
Wednesdays 7-9 PM MDT