[JPL] Stardust - Sudhalter/LaRocca quote

Lazaro Vega wblv.wblu.fm at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 10:09:35 EDT 2008

So the verse specifically and the melody generally. Thanks for the
specifics, although I wouldn't call "Singin' The Blues" "jazzy" or
"upbeat." I think it is Sudhalter writing in the Bix Mosaic box that
points to "Singing The Blues" as the first jazz "ballad" (which he
distinguishes from a slow drag blues). He also notes the highly
improvisational approach to the number -- barely any theme and two
chorus solos from the horns, which would be considered stretching out
on record for the time.

Lazaro Vega
Blue Lake Public Radio