[JPL] Stardust - Sudhalter/LaRocca quote

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 6 11:44:30 EDT 2008

I was also struck by someone pointing our that Pops recorded "West End Blues" about a year after "Singin the Blues"....as though somehow Louis Armstrong decided to now deal with the blues as a result. The societal mechanisms of that time help to create interesting perceptions of truth and reality.

  Jae Sinnett

Lazaro Vega <wblv.wblu.fm at gmail.com> wrote:
  This week's sponsor: Mack Avenue Records

Going for Adds 4/1/08

Three time Grammy(R) nominated guitar virtuoso Stanley Jordan makes his much anticipated return to the national spotlight with his Mack Avenue debut ''State of Nature.'' Featuring Jordan on both guitar and piano, playing both simultaneously at times, State of Nature also includes Charnett Moffett on bass, as well as Kenwood Dennard and David Haynes on drums.

State of Nature, which includes beautiful versions of All Blues and Song For My Father, also contains nine Jordan penned originals, as well as Jordan's interpretation of Joe Jackson's Steppin' Out.

For more information....

http://www.stanleyjordan.com
http://mackavenue.com/
http://www.groovmarketing.com

Radio Promotion by: GROOV Marketing and Consulting

(877) 476-6832
Mark Rini x 1
mark at groovmarketing.com
Josh Ellman x 2
josh at groovmarketing.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So the verse specifically and the melody generally. Thanks for the
specifics, although I wouldn't call "Singin' The Blues" "jazzy" or
"upbeat." I think it is Sudhalter writing in the Bix Mosaic box that
points to "Singing The Blues" as the first jazz "ballad" (which he
distinguishes from a slow drag blues). He also notes the highly
improvisational approach to the number -- barely any theme and two
chorus solos from the horns, which would be considered stretching out
on record for the time.

Lazaro Vega
Blue Lake Public Radio

Sponsorship information: jplsponsor at jazzweek.com