[JPL] Stardust - Sudhalter/LaRocca quote

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 6 16:48:33 EDT 2008

Interesting response, Jae.  What reference did you find that Louis
Armstrong decided to deal with the blues after "Singin' The Blues" was
issued?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think his first recorded solo
was on "Chimes Blues" with King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band in 1923.
Between then and 1927, he made well-known recordings of blues with
Oliver, Bessie Smith, Clarence Williams, Chippie Hill, The Red Onion
Jazz Babies and others in addition to his own band.  From what I've
seen, Bix and Louis admired each other's playing, and Louis seemed to
appreciate the fact that Bix had his own sound and style of playing.

Perhaps this was merely an observation that these two classic
recordings, "West End Blues" and "Singin' the Blues" appeared within a
year of each other?   It was a pretty heady time for the evolution of
improvised jazz. Without the weight of history to bog them down, no one
was yet recording "Buddy Bolden's Greatest Hits"!

Jim Wilke