[JPL] Stardust - Sudhalter/LaRocca quote

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 6 16:05:38 EDT 2008

That was my point Jim. I don't remember who made that comment about Pops recording "West End Blues" but to me, it sounded like that writer was implying that Louis got some sort of inspiration for perhaps dealing with the blues AFTER he heard "Singin the Blues." Of course that wouldn't be correct because we know he was dealing with that from his inception. I think if you re-read my post you'll see the intended point.

  Jae Sinnett

Jim Wilke <jwilke123 at comcast.net> wrote:
  This week's sponsor: Mack Avenue Records

Going for Adds 4/1/08

Three time Grammy(R) nominated guitar virtuoso Stanley Jordan makes his much anticipated return to the national spotlight with his Mack Avenue debut ''State of Nature.'' Featuring Jordan on both guitar and piano, playing both simultaneously at times, State of Nature also includes Charnett Moffett on bass, as well as Kenwood Dennard and David Haynes on drums.

State of Nature, which includes beautiful versions of All Blues and Song For My Father, also contains nine Jordan penned originals, as well as Jordan's interpretation of Joe Jackson's Steppin' Out.

For more information....

http://www.stanleyjordan.com
http://mackavenue.com/
http://www.groovmarketing.com

Radio Promotion by: GROOV Marketing and Consulting

(877) 476-6832
Mark Rini x 1
mark at groovmarketing.com
Josh Ellman x 2
josh at groovmarketing.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Interesting response, Jae. What reference did you find that Louis
Armstrong decided to deal with the blues after "Singin' The Blues" was
issued? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think his first recorded solo
was on "Chimes Blues" with King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band in 1923.
Between then and 1927, he made well-known recordings of blues with
Oliver, Bessie Smith, Clarence Williams, Chippie Hill, The Red Onion
Jazz Babies and others in addition to his own band. From what I've
seen, Bix and Louis admired each other's playing, and Louis seemed to
appreciate the fact that Bix had his own sound and style of playing.

Perhaps this was merely an observation that these two classic
recordings, "West End Blues" and "Singin' the Blues" appeared within a
year of each other? It was a pretty heady time for the evolution of
improvised jazz. Without the weight of history to bog them down, no one
was yet recording "Buddy Bolden's Greatest Hits"!

Jim Wilke

Sponsorship information: jplsponsor at jazzweek.com