[JPL] PLAYLISTS - GeorgeFM, KFM Radio & George Jazz

mark robinson markrobbo at clear.net.nz
Mon Apr 7 03:18:11 EDT 2008

Kia Ora,

KFM Radio  - Giantsteps Tuesday 1st April 2008

            1. Weldon Irvine - We Gettin Down (1975 RCA)

            2. Greg Chako - Cycles (2007 CP)

            3. Pedro Alfonso - Cuerdas Locas (2006 Talent Beat)

            4. Willie Pooch & Tony Monaco - Why I Sing the Blues (2007
Summit)

            5. John Cooper Jazz Orchestra - St Anthony's Light (2007 John
Cooper Music)

            6. Art Lillard's Heavenly Band - Biznes Changes (2005 Summit)

            7. John Evans - Dream (2006 Studio)

            8. Tim Ballard - Star Eyes (2008 Timkat Entertainment)

            9. Roy Ayres - River Niger (1978 CBS)

            10. Seawind - He Loves You (1977 RCA)

            11. Jim Malloy - Who She Do (1999 self release)

            12. Funk Inc - Sister Janie (1992 BGP)

            13. Gang Starr - Jazz Thing (1991 Island)

            14. Miles Davis - Madness (1969 CBS)

            15. Stetsasonic - Talkin All That Jazz (1991 Island)

            16. Jimmy Smith - Lush Life (self release)

            17. Rachel Ratsizafy - Exil (2008 Sacem)

            18. Freddie Hubbard - Little Sunflower (1990 Sony)

            19. Spyro Gyra - Lovin You (1980 MCA)

            20. Pat Metheny - Its Just Talk (1987 Geffen)

            21. Blue Feather - Let's Funk Tonight (1994 Mastercuts)

GeorgeFM - Its A Jazz Thing Sunday 6th April 2008

Many thanks to broadcaster and journalist Graham Reid for coming on the show
today.

            1. Elusive Tones of Wonder - Roland's Last Dance (2007 self
release NZ)

            2. Elusive Tones of Wonder - Methane Jungle (2007 self release
NZ)

            3. Lester Bowie Brass Fantasy - Thriller (1987 Venture)

            4. Ella Fitzgerald - Sunshine of Your Love

            5. Ornette Coleman - Macho Woman (1979 Artists House)

            6. James Blood Ulmer - Theme From Captain Black (1979 Artists
House)

            7. Pat Metheny & Ornette Coleman - Kathleen Grey (1986 Geffen)

            8. Arthur Blyth - Lenox Avenue Breakdown (1988 CBS)

            9. Richard Boulger - Time Flies (2008 self release)

            10. Sunny Ade - Bagago Bati Dum (1978 Sar)

            11. Bengt Berger - Bitter Funeral Beer (1982 ECM)

            12. John Handy & Ali Akbar Khan - Karuna Supreme (1976 MPS)

            13. Stephan Micus - Wings Over Water (1982 ECM)

            14. Miles Davis - Mademoiselle Marby (1978 CBS)

            15. The Ganelin Trio - Its Too Good To Be Jazz (1981 Leo)

            16. Stanley Clarke - Bad Asses (2008 Heads Up)

            17. Andrew White - New Blues (1974 Andrews Music)

Newly added on heavy rotation to Internet Station "George Jazz"

Hayley J. Hansell - Space & Time (2008 self release NZ)

Fiona Pears - Memories Of Home (2006 NZ)

Ishta - Ishta (2006 NZ)

Johnny Lippiett - Johnny Lippiett's Backbeat Project (2003)

Kevin Clark - Once Upon A Song I Flew (2005 NZ)

Mike Nock & Frank Gibson - Open Door (2006 NZ)

New Pacific Music Ensemble - Mareureu (2006 NZ)

The Hot Grits - Championship Sounds EP (2006 NZ)

Vaughn Roberts Big Band - Grrreat Stuff! (2005 NZ)

Selected Instrumental tracks The John Cooper Jazz Orchestra - Baecker Jazz
Workshop (2007 John Cooper Music)

Richard Boulger - Blues Twilight (2007 self release)

Gerardo Frisina - African Nite Life (2008 Scheme)

Gerardo Frisina - Batucadas Feat Mitoka Samba (2008 Scheme)

Gerardo Frisina - African Nite Life (2008 Scheme)

Mario Biondi and The High Five Quintet - This Is What You Are (All new
remixes) (2008 Scheme)

The Ipanemas - Canto Pra Oxum (2008 pre-release Far Out)

The Ipanemas - Um Novo Amor Chegou (2008 pre-release Far Out)

Caroline Lynn  - The Shaman's Kiss (2004 self release)

Erly Thornton - My Life (2008)

Jim Malloy - Jim Malloy Jazz Vocalist (2004)

John Evans - Dream (2006 Studio)

Tim Ballard - Easy Does It (2008)

Summit Jazz Sampler

Stanley Clarke - The Toys Of Men (2008 Nonsuch)

Album of the Week

Richard Boulger - Blues Twilight

(2008 self release)

Trumpeter Richard Boulger is a new name to me and one that I will be
following very closely in the future. It is rare these days that a jazz
release falls into my hands that has strong tunes throughout. At times the
band sound like a classic "Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers" ensemble at
their best. Indeed saxophonist David Schnitter who is featured on this
release was part of Blakey's Messengers at one stage.

Boulger shows wonderful tone and technique on the solo pieces "For Souls
Past" and "From The Night". "Perceptions" is one of the highlights of the
release, Boulger and drummer Victor "Ya-Yah" Jones improvise together at a
fair pace!!! Wonderful jazz. Liner notes from close friend and mentor
Freddie Hubbard state " Richard Boulger's Blues Twighlight is truly
inspirational" - I am sure Freddie meant that from a musician's perspective
but for me as a jazz fan it is inspirational to know that great jazz is
still being released.

Cheers

Mark Robinson

021762451