[JPL] Next Week on XM 72 Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Tue Apr 8 14:42:51 EDT 2008

XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (14-20 April, 2008)

This Monday, April 14th, we’ll present another edition of our special feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of one of the most popular keyboardists in jazz history during his birthday week. It’s the man from Chicago, HERBIE HANCOCK! You’ll hear the story of his incredible life and career and a full hour of his wonderful music as we celebrate one of America’s most beloved artists just two days after his birthday on Saturday the 12th. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, and this week it’s HERBIE HANCOCK!

This week enjoy another edition of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION hosted by Michelle Sammartino.  Michelle says if you listen to the show you’ll get music with that "jamband" jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' feel that ya just can't hear anywhere else. Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific. It’s JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION with Michelle Sammartino! This week, Michelle joins in our  “brass, reeds & woodwinds” theme for our third week of JAZZ APPRECIATION MONTH with a show she calls “PLUMBLING PROFESSIONALS” featuring masters of the funky horns like Skerik, Karl Denson, Miles Davis, The Dirty Dozen Brass Band and more.

This week hear HORNS GALORE LIVE on LIVE @ BJ'S! Every Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and Sunday at 8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific you can spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on XM, and this week, as we continue our celebration of JAZZ APPRECIATION MONTH, we’ll focus on the best live performances we can dig up by the artists who pick up a sax, flute, trombone or trumpet and blow like crazy. It’s Miles, Maceo, Bonerama, Herbie Mann, Joshua Redman and more. It’s HORNS GALORE LIVE on this week’s edition of LIVE @ BJ'S!

During the third week of our celebration of JAZZ APPRECIATION MONTH we’ll give you, as we give you every Friday, an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fusion Era. And this week’s theme is the THE GREAT FUSION HORN PLAYERS. Beginning at 7 AM Eastern/4 AM Pacific until midnight Eastern/9 PM Pacific we’ll begin each hour with a classic fusion piece from the likes of Miles Davis, Wayne Shorter, Bennie Maupin, Freddie Hubbard and more. It’s THE GREAT FUSION HORN PLAYERS on this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION on XM 72, BEYOND JAZZ.

This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN!” Join award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin as he covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective.  Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT, Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN,” and on this week’s edition Mark joins in the “brass, reeds & woodwinds” theme of our third week of JAZZ APPRECIATION MONTH with a show that places the spotlight on the greatest horn player in all of MOJA history…MILES DAVIS!

On Saturday, April 12th, the third weekend of our celebration of JAZZ APPRECIATION MONTH, Beyond Jazz presents another edition of “WORDS & MUSIC,”  another themed presentation based on instrumentation, with a special show we call “BLOWING THROUGH PLUMBING.” You’ll hear the thoughts and tunes of those who play saxes, flutes, trumpets and trombones…greats like Miles, Joshua Redman, Dave Douglas, Tim Hagans, Herbie Mann, Michael & Randy Brecker and many more. It all starts at Noon and lasts through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific) as we begin each hour with conversation followed music from those who use the reeds and woodwinds to make great MOJA. It’s “BLOWING THROUGH PLUMBING,” the theme of this week’s edition of “WORDS & MUSIC.”

Every Sunday it’s the EMAIL REPLY HOUR…from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour responding to email messages by playing requested songs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.

Russ Davis
Program Director
XM 72-Beyond Jazz
33 West 60th Street 10th Floor